Replacing Thermostat and Controller with Wireless

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a boiler and hot water tank in the S-Plan configuration, with a Potterton EP2000 and an old mechanical Honeywell thermostat.

I want to replace the Potterton EP2000 and Honeywell thermostat with a newly purchased Heatmiser PRTHW-WTS Kit.

Wiring in the receiver isn't the problem as it's just transferring the wires from the Potterton to it.

My problem comes when dealing with the old thermostat as the call for central heating will now come from the new Heatmiser thermostat.

Surely when replacing the wires from the Potterton to the receiver, the old thermostat will still determine whether heat is called?

Should I remove the thermostat wires from the "wiring centre" (chocblock) and then join the terminals where the thermostat used to be connected?

I've attached a diagram that I think is right...

Any advice would be greatly received...

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
Wiring in the receiver isn't the problem as it's just transferring the wires from the Potterton to it.
Not exactly because -

My problem comes when dealing with the old thermostat as the call for central heating will now come from the new Heatmiser thermostat.
You need to completely remove the existing thermostat cable.

Surely when replacing the wires from the Potterton to the receiver, the old thermostat will still determine whether heat is called?
Nope. It's gone.

Should I remove the thermostat wires from the "wiring centre" (chocblock) and then join the terminals where the thermostat used to be connected?
Remove them all

I've attached a diagram that I think is right.
So have I

Depending on the location of the present programmer -
If it is near the wiring centre then remove the cable completely and fit new receiver.
If it is remote from the wiring centre - in the kitchen, perhaps, next to a switch, remove it and connect the wiring so that only a switched L & N + E. goe to the wiring centre, then fit the receiver there and follow the diagram.

Note NO1 (Normally Open 1) to terminal 6. Terminal 4 is no longer used.

Any cables that are no longer used should be removed or, if not possible, should be made safe and shown to be not used by connecting all their conductors, L,N,E, together in one connector block at both ends.

Thanks for clarifying!

Yes, I would be removing the thermostat and relevant wiring and switching the NO1 and NO2 around (as NO1 is for heating and NO2 for water with this receiver).

1). Remove thermostat wiring.
2). Wire NO1 to terminal 5.
3). Wire NO2 to terminal 6.

Fantastic, thanks for your help!

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back