Replacing Worcester Boiler Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

We've moved into a property which currently has a Worcester Bosch 24i boiler that is running fine, but is a little old (10yrs or more) and possiblly inefficient too.

We've called out installers and they have recommended:-

Worcester Bosch 38CDI or a Vaillant 838.

The installation is free as it's an energy grant. I'm note sure what to do, so would appreciate any advice on which boiler to go for.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Most installers seem to have their own favourite make of boiler and will promote that make above all others.

It is very difficult to get all the necessary information to make a decision about which boiler to have without trawling around the various manufacturer's brochures and technical data.

how big is your home ? how many bathrooms ? reason why i ask is because they are big boilers

My house is 5 bedrooms + 2 Bathrooms.

I understand what your saying Bernardgreen, hence let me ask.....

Which one in your experience would give me:-

1. More kw output to handle multiple showers?
2. Be more efficient?
3. Cheaper for parts?
4. Have a longer warranty, assuming I don't get an accredited installer?

Also the current installed boiler is a system boiler I believe, so won't installing a combi-boiler cause any issues?

Sponsored Links
With multiple showers you really need to have a hot water cylinder and NOT a combi boiler. Running a 16 kW boiler for half an hour to heat a cylinder is most probably more efficient than runing a 48 kW for the duration of the shower. A boiler that can put 48 kW into instant hot water and be also throttled down to the few kW needed to keep the house warm has to be a compromise between the two very different requirements.

Combi's were invented to provide hot water and heating for homes such as flats where there is no attic or loft to put tanks in and modern "compact" houses where there is no room for a hot water cylinder and airing cupboard.

My solution in my cottage was a heat only boiler heating rads and / or the vented hot water cylinders. For a mains pressure shower I have a second coil in the top of the bath room hot water cylinder. The hot supply to the shower is mains water heated by passing through this second coil.

Just so that I'm not mistaken.. Do you know whether a Worcester 24i is a system or a combi boiler? The reason I ask is because I can't find any cylinder / tank in the loft or anywhere else.

You've bought a place that size and are getting a free boiler?

that was going to be my next question dan and DP, how on earth can someone with a house like yours be able to get a free boiler on a energy saving grant ?

what criteria do you have to meet to be eligible just curious OP ?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back