Reporting Illegal Gas Workers

C

Congreave

I went to a Job last night (friday), the customer has been completely ripped off by a builder and she was worried about the safety of what he had done. He had apparently 'arranged' for an old worcester combi to be moved downstairs, he had fitted a Gas hob as part of the kitchen fit. When the customer came home from work and could smell Gas, she phoned him and he returned and repaired the leaking joint adjacent to the meter. When I had a look he had used multiwrap (plumbing) PTFE on a compression joint and the cooker pipework was unclipped and he had used a chrome copper2iron fitting. Clearly not done by a gas fitter! The boiler looks like it was done by an amateur too, the building opening not sealed to outside etc...

Anyway I turned off the Gas and tried to phone Gas Safe to report an illegal gas worker. Turns out that you cant until monday morning? Tried reporting it on-line but it doesnt work, just says *errror* when you have spent 20 mins filling out the form.

Tried the HSE to riddor the fitting with the wrong PTFE but thats just the same, monday morning.

So this poor old lady has no heating or hot water all weekend because she wanted to get her Gas checked properly?

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? Should I repair the work or leave it for someone to (eventually) come and look at?

Sponsored Links
Trading standards and worth a shout to the local paper.
Print the riddle paperwork off and get it filled then ring em on Monday.

I know the poor old dear has had no heat/hotwater/Cooker all weekend but you have done the right thing, you should not touch anything or attempt to repair untill it has been inspected by Gas Safe/HSE do not disturb evidence lets hope the gas safe regime is more robust than their predisessors at nailing illegals :confused:

Sponsored Links
Trading standards and worth a shout to the local paper.
Print the riddle paperwork off and get it filled then ring em on Monday.

waste of time and effort TS / local rags couldn't give a toss. TS will shuffle from 1 dept to another and back again. The local rags are full of illegals advertising their services (all they care about is advert revenue!)

Bloody hell never knew they were that hopeless. I've always just riddor'd even then god knows what comes of it.
What chance do we stand???? GSR and HSE talk the talk.....

Corgi where always a waste of time reporting anything too.
Gassafe seem to be making the right noises whether they will actually be any better remains to be seen.

Agile do you have any opinion on how gas safe deal with illegals and how they follow up.

And by the way Agile i dont receive a pension, wee bit jealous are we about my finances :rolleyes:

Softas/goldberg.
As per usual your comments make no sense .
Anyone elses input eh the input was from gassafe and as they hold the register and who is on it it was fact .

Agile has been very proactive over the years in reporting people so cant think of anyone better who may know what the end results are and if they have changed recently. As simple as that .

only ever bothered to report one illegal installer as his work was 1. extremely dangerous 2. shoddy and 3 he was taking custom from my patch!!

the result was 3 years of excuses and inaction from TS and the dog despite his use of corgi logo corgi number (somebody elses!) and numerous trading standards offences.

the final result was the dog sending him a letter telling him not to do gas work - like he took any notice!!

On the one case when I did a RIDDOR as the boiler had exploded and blown the caretaker up the stairs the HSE only wrote a letter.

To give them their due they interviewed the cocky caretaker who had installed the boiler but ended up just writing a letter to the landlord telling him to use a CORGI in the future.

I also went to a leaking gas connection to a boiler which had been installed by an unregistered builder. The owner had reported it to CORGI. The inspector came to see it but decided he COULD not turn on the gas to check for a leak "because it had been turned off by Transce" and so the Inspector "COULD NOT DETERMINE IF THERE WAS ANY LEAK".

CORGI wrote to the builder suggesting he gets registered with them!

I am surprised that the OP has left it off for the weekend rather than spending 30 minutes to make it safe to use. Wrong PTFE tape and a lack of a clip is probably only NCS anyway. Without seeing the fitting its difficult to know if it was "totally unsuitable for gas".

Its more important to keep the old dear warm than wasting your time reporting to GS and HSE who will do nothing anyway. There are many discussions at Gas-News about that at the moment.

Tony

Just got off the phone with the HSE. I thought you were all being cynical when you said they would just write a letter!
I just cant believe it, the customer witnessed the builder illegally working on Gas, I have reported his work as being dangerous and they are going to write to him and suggest that he becomes Gas Safe Registered!!!!

Why did I bother?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back