Resealing stainless steel waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a couple of basins with stainless steel wastes. They regularly need hair and gunk cleared out, but it's always hard to get a good seal on the various joints. Is there some kind of sealant I should be using, or should I buy a load of washers?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Is it not just a case of removing the trap, cleaning and reinstating?

Do you mean chrome traps? If not can you let us see them? If it's the seals then all you can do is renew them really.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all, yes it's chrome traps. Several screw tight junctions that all have black washers to seal, but to get a good seal in the past I have to use grips. I'll try silicone grease.

Thanks all, yes it's chrome traps. Several screw tight junctions that all have black washers to seal, but to get a good seal in the past I have to use grips. I'll try silicone grease.

Don't slather it on though else the gaskets'll go a shlippin and a shlidin as you tighten down.

This little tin'll do you...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111723984896

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Understood, thanks.

Basin done, now the ugly job of disassembling the low profile bath trap which has been put together with about six bloody joints!

Mait .... :sick: icky icky goo :sick:

renewed a click clack basin waste the other day, had mait smeared everywhere, even where it shouldn't have been, took me 20mins to get the big nut off and then another to get it all off my fingers, should have worn gloves TBH

Plumbers mait for me too, if it’s wet it’s more pliable. Each to their own though Rob.

Each to their own though Rob

Of course, mait is an old tried and trusted sealant, not suggesting it doesn't do the job and it's horse for courses, I just hate the mess.

One question though, would you use mait and silicone on the same job?

That's what I found the other day. Silicone on the inside shoulder of the basin waste at the top and mait on the underside and all over the threads. Wasn't a nice job, takes so long to clean the basin for the new waste (unless you were using mait again I guess)

One question though, would you use mait and silicone on the same job?

That's what I found the other day. Silicone on the inside shoulder of the basin waste at the top and mait on the underside and all over the threads. Wasn't a nice job, takes so long to clean the basin for the new waste (unless you were using mait again I guess)

I wouldn’t personally, but seen the same. Also hate silicone on wc fittings :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back