Resistance in parallel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I'm currently revising for my Unit 203 (2330) Exam

Going through the book "Electrical Installation Calculations" I'm struggling on a question.

"Calculate the value of a resistor which, when connected in parallel with the given resistor, will produce the value asked for."

Given resistance = 48

Resistance required = 12

I know the answer to this is 16, but i'm struggling to work out how to get there.

I know how to calculate total resistance in parallel (1/R + 1/R = 1 / R = RT) but i'm not sure how to calculate the missing value.

P.S. Not homework, just revision!

Sponsored Links
Hi,

1/rt = 1/r1 + 1/r2

1/12 = 1/48 + 1/r2

therefore 1/r2 = 1/12 - 1/48

1/rt = 0.0833 - 0.0208

1/rt = 0.0625

1/0.0625 = 16

I think I typed it all correctly

Not quite I didn't

1/rt = 1/r1 + 1/r2

1/12 = 1/48 + 1/r2

therefore 1/r2 = 1/12 - 1/48

1/r2 = 0.0833 - 0.0208

1/r2 = 0.0625

1/0.0625 = 16

I think I typed it all correctly

Sponsored Links
That's correct but didn't do it that way because next time there might not be as simple a common denominator so may have confused OP even more.

With any 2 fractions, there is always an obvious common denominator, it is obtained by multiplying the denominators together.
Given resistance = 97

Resistance required = 41

Enjoy, ha ha.

But seriously - in this exam the idea of the question will be to test if you know how to calculate parallel resistances - the actual calculations involved will deliberately be quite simple.

That's why (I'm sure) disinfo will have been told to show his workings, i.e. the way holmslaw or EFLI did it (holmslaw's is better, and doesn't need a calculator), rather than just sticking down the answer - that way you still pick up marks even if a daft arithmetic error produces the wrong answer.

That's why (I'm sure) disinfo will have been told to show his workings.... rather than just sticking down the answer - that way you still pick up marks even if a daft arithmetic error produces the wrong answer.

Not if its a multiple choice question BAS -there is only one write (sic) answer ;)

Eleven key presses on Casio gets 71.02 Ohms.

open bracket; 41; inverse; minus; 97; inverse; end bracket; inverse; equals:

keyjob.jpg

-0-

Not really in the spirit of flameports method of finding a common denominator....

Are calculators allowed in the 2330 exam?

Are calculators allowed in the 2330 exam?

Yes for both level 2 (multiple choice) and level 3 (written & multiple choice).

You have to memorise 40 plus equations going into these exams - many of them have SI units in the terra or pica range - which makes a calculator handy.

You have to memorise 40 plus equations going into these exams - many of them have SI units in the terra or pica range - which makes a calculator handy.

pmsl. Most sparks have difficulty with Ohm's law!

Memorise 40+ equations, my jacksie. :rolleyes:

This is part of the problem - students seem to prefer not to learn principles, from which any formulae can be derived, relying instead on regurgitating rote-learned solutions to predictable problems. Lots of effort for little gain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back