Response gas pressure problem (UPDATED)

Rob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went to a defective response today. Fan runs, no ignition.

Checked inlet pressure to see if gas valve was opening to find it dropped to 5.8mB. Measured it from the test point on the pipe aswell and got the same reading.

When checking the working pressure at the meter. Standing pressure was 23.9mB and didnt drop at all when gas valve opened. It did however drop to the correct 21.5mB when checking the gas hob.

This is only a recent occuring problem. If its not a govner fault has anyone know pipes to block somehow.

The pipe is definatly undersized with about a mtr 15mm visable although it does come off the mtr in 3/4.

any advice would be great. For the time being i can only recommend a new gas run.

Sponsored Links
So let me understand this:

Meter:
Standing pressure: 23.9mb?
Working pressure (hob on): 21.5mb?
Working pressure (boiler on): 23.9mb??

Boiler:
Working pressure: 5.8mb?
Standing pressure: 23.9mb?

Seems like an impossible combination to me; if the working pressure at the boiler dropped and stabilised at 5.8mb; then there would be flow in the pipe; causing the meter working pressure to drop to the 21.5mb like the hob did...?

Can you re-check and confirm the readings.

I will accept these measurements as typical of a pipe blocked between the cooker connect and the boiler.

Look for a blockage between the cooker connect and the boiler.

Tell us what you find!

Tony

I've never had this; so interested in this now; surely if it's a stabilsed inlet at 5.8mb it would be drawing off the meter causing the meter to then give a normal working pressure of 21.5mb??

Sponsored Links
GeckoGas-com said:
I've never had this; so interested in this now; surely if it's a stabilsed inlet at 5.8mb it would be drawing off the meter causing the meter to then give a normal working pressure of 21.5mb??

Exactly the reason i created the post in the first place. Not even the slightest jump or movement from guvenor. Unfortunatley nearly all the pipework is concealed so looking for a blockage is unlikely. Re-run is likely. What also concerns me is this boiler must be 5 yrs old and apart from the odd LWPS has worked fine.

How has such a substantial blockaged occurred only now!

Will update. whatever the out come

Cheers

rob884 said:
Measured it from the test point on the pipe aswell and got the same reading.

Refuse to ever look at Ideal boilers anymore so I can't remember exactly where the test points are but have you checked the owner hasn't played around with the isolating valves (or had someone else in) and the gas valve inlet filter isn't full of black dust.

The Polish plumbers clear a blocked gas supply with mains water pressure in the reverse direction.

The also full flow purge to a hose pipe in a bucket of water!

Tony

Gasguru said:
rob884 said:
Measured it from the test point on the pipe aswell and got the same reading.

Refuse to ever look at Ideal boilers anymore so I can't remember exactly where the test points are but have you checked the owner hasn't played around with the isolating valves (or had someone else in) and the gas valve inlet filter isn't full of black dust.

Another advantage of being SE! My company doesnt even bother to ask what type of boiler they have. The ammount of WAU ive been to in surbiton just to walk out again.

Anyway the test point is about 6'' BEFORE the iso valve. And same reading at the actual gas valve.

rob884 said:
GeckoGas-com said:

Exactly the reason i created the post in the first place. Not even the slightest jump or movement from guvenor. Unfortunatley nearly all the pipework is concealed so looking for a blockage is unlikely. Re-run is likely. What also concerns me is this boiler must be 5 yrs old and apart from the odd LWPS has worked fine.

How has such a substantial blockaged occurred only now!

Will update. whatever the out come

Cheers
I am pretty sure this it sounds like the gas valve not opening to me. Is this one the same as the Minimiser as I cant remember.Other than that just undo the inlet while isolated then open it up. You will soon know if there is a blockage.

Stan

Stan, if the valve was not opening then the supply pressure at the boiler would not fall.

The valve is very similar if not exactly the same.

Tony

Agile said:
I will accept these measurements as typical of a pipe blocked between the cooker connect and the boiler.

Look for a blockage between the cooker connect and the boiler.

Tell us what you find!

Tony

Cooker connect? Do you mean the tee? The boiler requires its own dedicated (22mm min) supply right to the boiler. No tee offs.

Agile said:
Stan, if the valve was not opening then the supply pressure at the boiler would not fall.

The valve is very similar if not exactly the same.

Tony

The Response is the only non-condensing boiler around that had a pre-mix burner. It is not at all like the Minimiser's burner.

Doctor Drivel said:
The Response is the only non-condensing boiler around that had a pre-mix burner. It is not at all like the Minimiser's burner.

Er... What about the Powermax non condensing boilers?

I will probably think of another one later!

As far as the minimiser is concerned I think it is a premix but others will confirm that shortly.

Tony

Right found the problem....

Went in there again today to check a few more things and luckily the tenant was in this time...to inform me of the where abouts of his second meter!!

Thats right two PRIMARY meters in one flat. One feeding the cooker, the other (hidden under bathroom sink) feeds the boiler. This one DID have a faulty govner aswell as a leaking one. Nice man from NG came, fitted a new one and boiler all working again.

Apparantly it was two bedsits turned into one smallish flat :rolleyes:

Unfortunatly for them they pay the bills on the one that feeds the boiler and gas supplier is unaware of the cooker one.

Thanks for all replies

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back