Restricting Socket Use

Although not quite it's intended purpose (and in this example, can only handle 10A), I sort of like the idea of one of these...

View attachment 302443

"OK, you've had your final warning!" - Press the big red button!

And the key is required to reset it.
This is better, encourages a work ethic

Coin-Meter-Timer.jpg

Sponsored Links
Of course, a good old fashioned bolllocking would be the correct answer.

One solution could be to run a 2.5mm2 T+E cable from each socket, to individual single pole 20amp switches. And at each socket do a 'three plate' connection so the live of each socket is interrupted. (Don't worry, we'll explain it later if sounds like an option.)

Of course, turning his power off will mean no clock radio, and no phone charging - which will no doubt lead to future disasters in his school life.

If you do turn off his power, suddenly, you risk some massive tantrums. Also,you risk him trying to create his own power source, by him trying to connect things to the light fitting, or loosening off the socket fronts to see what's going on.

The conversion of the box room into his own dedicated computer room probably won't help, it will just fuel his addiction.

Really and truly I think you should find a better way to control him, as your approach could be considered just as childish as he is.

Can you define a good old fashioned *******ing for me please?

His power won't be turned off suddenly, there will be a boundary set that it will automatically go off at 9pm, regardless of what he might be doing.
I'm not going to just arbitrarily turn it off because I feel like it. Then he will have to work within the boundary. Like I said, before he worked out how simply he could switch the smart plugs back on there was no conflict.
The lighting arrangement is going to be an LED Baton, if he's prepared to drop it from the ceiling, remove the live cables, put some kind of socket on it or a choc block onto his PDU, which will still at this time be behind a locked plastic socket cover, which if he had thought about it he could have took a hammer to in order to get through to the switches without exposing himself to exposed conductors at all. And manage all this without tripping an RCBO................... Then I think he's earned the shock, and or the 30 seconds of extra xbox time he gets before I notice........

Could we keep things based in reality please :)

I'm not sure why there seems to be such concern about removing the source of conflict.
Who am I to 'Control' him?
He's a human being, and we as human beings regardless of age are wonderfully adept at doing things that aren't good for us. I have an opportunity to encourage appropriate behaviours, rather than give a '*******ing' for negative behaviours.
Maybe a swift clip round the ear is in order? Yet if I do that at work to another 'Adult' I'd get fired and quite possibly charged for assault.

I have siblings, I grew up with the expression 'If you can't share, neither of you will have it'.................... How is this situation any different?

Cheers
Lee

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back