Retirement.

Sponsored Links
Enjoy it. Like many people, I’ve had a taste during furlough and it ain’t too bad. I’ve had my small business grant and I just have to make sure I get my full furlough allowance, my back to work furlough payment and enjoy legally spending my company bounce back loan to get ellals full annoyance and I’m good for it. :LOL:

Last edited:
I am nearing it..Any tips from those in it?.

If you have outside hobbies and interests, which it seems you do you should be fine. You could also consider right sizing your work. Which could be something you can do with your current job, or it could be a part time low stress, low responsibility job.

If you have outside hobbies and interests, which it seems you do you should be fine. You could also consider right sizing your work. Which could be something you can do with your current job, or it could be a part time low stress, low responsibility job.
Thankyou..Talking to others,having hobbies is important,as is,as you say,keeping some work on..Since doing domestic work,it is interesting getting to know couples and seeing them interact at home.Some seem miserable together,yet think it correct to spend 24/7 together.Others in there 80s are as close as the day they married..God luv em.My idea is to go off biking the world and my wife will visit me then go home to see the grand kids...Hardest thing in the world to appreciate what you have at times,and the best thing in life is to love and be loved..Life so gets in the bloody way of smelling the roses.

Sponsored Links
Make sure all clients/customers/employers are fully aware that you have become retired and that you will not accept any more commissions or requests to do "just one small job". One small job can lead you back into the comfort zones of what you are used to.

As mentioned spend time on hobbies and make an effort to do the things you have always wanted to do. Think out of the box and out of your comfort zone and take on activities and/or challenges that are new to you.

I am fortunate in that I could retire at 60, ACS coming up new sniffer needed etc, was doing a house up for daughter at the time, just decided I had enough money and didn't want the work any longer. Wife was not due to retire but got made redundant had a decent payout so retired as well, its awkward being together 24/7 but Iv'e got a boat and dogs she has a horse and walks with friends so we have our own interests as well as shared ones, but be prepared for nags from decorating to whatever but she has calmed down a bit, just enjoy it I don't know how I had the time to work and do every thing as well.

Some people seem to have the idea that having ones own interests and spending time apart is an indication of unhappy marriage etc..I see it as a good thing.Some people sit at home,just retired,loads of money,and go hardly anywhere,each to there own I suppose,and some become so used to scrimping and saving,it becomes an obsession,even with a huge surplus...Whether arriving in a new country by boat plane or bike,I have always loved exploring and meeting new people.

Tell her women are allowed to decorate.

I am amazed at the number of - SWMBO, better half, she lets me wear the trousers and other things like that on here.

I know they are 'jokes' - but underneath there must be something.

Tell her to decorate! she makes such a bo##ox of it no thank you

I do all the decorating because it's less painful. I do a better job anyway and paint goes everywhere because he can't be bothered to protect the floor etc. He also spends the whole time in a grump because he doesn't want to spend his free time decorating.

I also do all the cleaning, cooking, gardening, ironing, shopping, animal care and I even put the bins out because the precious little dumpling doesn't like the smell!

I'd like to see some of that SWMBO myself :LOL:

Anyway, back to retirement - just enjoy the freedom Durham! My dad when he retired at 55 ended up enjoying tinkering, pub lunches etc that he said he doesn't know how he ever found the time to work!

I also do all the cleaning, cooking, gardening, ironing, shopping, animal care and I even put the bins out because the precious little dumpling doesn't like the smell!
Crikey..i contribute to all of the above,except we have no pets.

Crikey..i contribute to all of the above,except we have no pets.
Pets ! One thing if you retire is to make sure you have enough money, if you have a pension, it will be a fixed amount coming in, no more doing more jobs or overtime to cover unexpected expenses. My money is dwindling, another 7-8 years before pension time, and just found out the dog needs an op costing £5k and no insurance.

That's why you're a keeper and still married! :) :)
Still makes me chuckle after 20 odd years...My first wife binned me for her boss..Told me he had charisma and a bandana...I was convinced it happened because I did insufficient washing up...LMAO..Not sure who was more tapped!!.

Sponsored Links
Back