Retro-fitting gable end straps

I thought they needed 225mm of masonry on top to function well, implying that they're fitted under the rafters under one course of blocks?

Sponsored Links
No one said it was correct... I think there are plenty on here that know right from wrong
o_O I think there are plenty on here asking for advice who don't know right from wrong. If you mention bad building practice they might think it is acceptable. What sort of builder fixes these straps over the membrane and has to puncture it to drop the end down the cavity - crazy.

I'm going with a) they're not there, b) it doesn't matter enough to bother retrofitting them and c) retrofitting them so that they're effective is going to be difficult. So I'm going to leave it as it is.

Plenty of gable ends of old houses fallen down around Lancashire when the ties have failed.
But I dough't you will have any issues being so new.

Sponsored Links
Plenty of gable ends of old houses fallen down around Lancashire when the ties have failed.- do you know why the ties failed, or if they actually had ties installed :?: just asking, not suggesting anything.
But I dough't you will have any issues being so new.
depends ,if there aren't any :!:

it doesn't matter enough to bother retrofitting them and c) retrofitting them so that they're effective is going to be difficult. So I'm going to leave it as it is.
Why do you now think it doesn't matter if there aren't any :?: Pack between the last truss and the gable wall and install fixing straps screwed to the longitudinal bracing boards (assuming there are some :!: ) and plugging and screwing the straps with a decent turn down into the inner leaf of blockwork will be better than nothing.

My doubt was about whether it was better enough than nothing to bother with, and you seem to be suggesting that it is. I will bother doing it [fixing on to wall with screws] because it's straightforward and cheap enough to do.

Go easy drilling into those blocks near the top of the wall as you don't want to go dislodging them being to aggressive with an sds drill.

Leofric. Rust!

If you're willing to fit one under
You are as well fixing a batten down the wall too. That's how I'd retro' fix a restraint strap.

Can you elaborate.... I need to do a couple of these in three weeks time and was planning on removing a brick just under the rafter and then getting the tail of the strap into the cavity and rotating it down into the cavity before the re-fitting the brick.

If you're willing to fit one under

Can you elaborate.... I need to do a couple of these in three weeks time and was planning on removing a brick just under the rafter and then getting the tail of the strap into the cavity and rotating it down into the cavity before the re-fitting the brick.
That method is fine as long as there's not too much collateral damage . The masonry is very fragile up there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back