Retro-fitting gable end straps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 20yo trussed roof doesn't have any straps on the end-of-terrace end. Is it worth fitting them? The obvious answer is that if it's still standing after 20 years then probably not but I wonder what the not-obvious answers are.
From a bit of googling it looks like they're supposed to installed through the inner leaf but that's going to be a bit of struggle at this point. The ones I've seen pictures of online have holes all the way along so could easily be screwed in to inside of the inner leaf. Would using screws to attach these to the gable wall be effective?

Sponsored Links
There are probably more important things in your life to worry about.

Surprising a 20 year old house doesn't have them but if you want to add some, plug and screw them to the inside of the inner leaf at least , that is what 'some' builders do anyway :!:

Sponsored Links
They are often fixed along the longitudinal bracing boards at ridge ,rafter and ceiling node points of the trusses.

seen plenty unsupported with noggins. feel through the felt you might feel them.
I'll have another poke about tomorrow but to be honest I don't know if I'd be able to feel the difference through the felt between a batten and a strap.

Yes it has a dry verge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back