Rewire of loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The very old loft conversion has come to the end of the road and while it's being re roofed, we're going for a hip to gable change, moving the stairs, changing layout, etc.

At the moment, the existing upstairs ring circuit has been extended up into the loft. I know it's not best practice, but due to the position of the consumer unit, it would be a pain to run another ring up to the loft. Is it acceptable to keep this arrangement? The upstairs ring will serve 6 bedrooms in total.

With LED bulbs, there's probably only about 200w being drawn with every light in the house on, so I was assuming the lighting circuit is ok as it is.

Many thanks. Barry

Sponsored Links
How old is the loft conversion?

One petty issue is that a ring was supposed to cover a maximum floor area of 100 square metres, and also another petty issue may have been maximum cable length - but no one seems to worry about that stuff now, especially as plug-in heaters are not used so much now.

No actual requirement that each floor must have it's own circuits.

Extremely likely that the ring can be converted into 2 separate radials, each covering 3 bedrooms.

When I moved in to my house, the whole was covered by one ring final circuit. Thats everything, kitchen, utility, bedrooms etc.

The load on a bedroom socket circuit is trivial. Six bedrooms is going to be no problem. Leave it like it is..

Sponsored Links
Many thanks all. There's a chance I can run cable back to near the distribution box when I do the plumbing extension and leave them ready for when the kitchen is done, but as you point out, a couple of LED bedside lights and a phone charger probably isn't going to cause issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back