rewiring an occupied house

Don't be so silly.

I'm not

I don't think I've ever met a customer who would have been happy with that.

Obviously you don't get out much then. This method is actually used by a social housing company I used to contract to. I have used this method many times for customers. Actually this is the way I rewired my house.

It seems like a good idea in theory,

Thats because sometimes it is.

but completely impractical in the real world.,

I take you've tried this method and failed then?

Have you actually done many occupied domestic rewires?

yes many moons ago. How about yourself?

I assume when you re-use the metallic conduits in the walls that you earth them?
oh, I forgot according to you thats not required when using insulated and sheathed cables.

Sponsored Links
Completely agree RMS best way forward.
In reality much easier and more organised than other ways.

With regards to the other methods ie temporary supplys for lights etc and making sure protective bonding is in place, i hope you guys are completing the relevant certification?? As the regs are retrospective for temporary installations.

perfectly logical way of doing this. don't understand the "silly" comment. if you disconnect the lights you could use these positions for the new as temporary lights can be simply plugged into existing sockets i.e lamps.

perfectly logical way of doing this. don't understand the "silly" comment. if you disconnect the lights you could use these positions for the new as temporary lights can be simply plugged into existing sockets i.e lamps.

Then there's no issue with moving the positions of the ceiling lights, wall switches and pull switches because you're not livening any of it up - as you're talking about plugging in portable lamps.
:confused:

It does make good sense, sometimes, however, to place the new sockets next to the old ones, as often the old ones are in the wrong place or on the skirting board.

Sponsored Links
Then there's no issue with moving the positions of the ceiling lights, wall switches and pull switches because you're not livening any of it up - as you're talking about plugging in portable lamps.
:confused:

don't understand the confused icon. as i said you can use the existing positions for all light fittings and switches as the circuits can be easily disconnected leaving the remaining circuits operational meaning temp lights can be provided from the remaining socket circuits. this leaves the customer with lights and power while you carry out the rest of the rewire and the dead tests of the installation before supplying the tails to the new cu and carrying out the remaining live tests.

I thought we were talking about fitting the new accessories alongside the old ones... :)

I thought we were talking about fitting the new accessories alongside the old ones... :)

sometimes you can't do this. single pendants on ceilings tend to be placed in the middle of ceilings and moving them to the side may not be an option for aesthetic reasons. also some light switches can also be on a small width of wall beside a door and this too means that you can't place next to existing so keeping the same positions is sometimes necessary.

this thread was opened to give advice on rewiring an occupied property so all information on this should benefit.

sometimes you can't do this. single pendants on ceilings tend to be placed in the middle of ceilings and moving them to the side may not be an option for aesthetic reasons. also some light switches can also be on a small width of wall beside a door and this too means that you can't place next to existing so keeping the same positions is sometimes necessary.

this thread was opened to give advice on rewiring an occupied property so all information on this should benefit.

I quite agree.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back