rewire in house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how do the sparks rewire a house with people still living there? i mean like do they do all chases and pull cables in first b4 ripping old stuff out,so as to leave supply on every night?dunno confused :confused:

Sponsored Links
start adding new cables etc. leave old stuff alone for now. wire a light circuit and temp wire into old board for a while. last day is usually no power whilst CU is changed.

if possible, we never leave them without lights. sockets we sometimes have tto leave off, but we do give them a temp socket

do you install new points next to old ones so you can do that? or have mad rush day using old chases?

When rewiring a ring, I go from socket to socket in the order i'm putting them on the ring, doing as many as I can in one day - I usually have the DB fitted near the start of the job so that I can leave the remains of the old ring on a B20 MCB and the new part of the ring on another B20 thus creating two temporary radials to keep power throughout.

The last new socket I do in a day, I measure off t&e to the next intended point, pull a leg of this into my last new socket, terminate the other end in a choc box (not choc block!), coil up and put under the floor for the night. The old remaining end of the ring I am removing gets terminated in a similar way and also left under the floor overnight (with all floorboards screwed back down!)

Sponsored Links
Just do a circuit or part of a circuit at a time. The whole installation doesn't have to be off, apart from when the cu is being done.

Even then, there will always have to be one socket live, for the kettle. It'll be in the regs somewhere.............. :cool:

ty all good answers makes sense now. pompey 657?looked good at the bridge last week.

Depends on mess - many people move out for the week here in devon. My boss has a storage companay aswell, so this plays a part.

Every install is different, but you can always leave some light/sockets every night, even temporary.

Fridge, freezer, TV, kettle, cent heat. job done.

we are doing a rewire in an old house, which was all surface, so pretty easy for us, just leave all alone while 1st and 2nd fixing ... then once we are done, we just put new board in and rip out old stuff

If it's a big job, we normally put on an rcd protected (temporary) builders board with an eight way extension and then leave them with our plug in task lights, plus power for fridge/freezer/boiler etc. They just have to accept that there will be a bit of disruption!
SB

bigbob said:
how do the sparks rewire a house with people still living there? i mean like do they do all chases and pull cables in first b4 ripping old stuff out,so as to leave supply on every night?dunno confused :confused:
Why d'you ask?

bigbob said:
someone must have another way. after all we all need it.

Bob, it's going to be messy, however it's done. If you have a lot of people/stuff in your house the disruption will be all the more and the price will go up. You may even find that some electricians won't be interested in working in an occupied house.

dingbat said:
You may even find that some electricians won't be interested in working in an occupied house.

Unless of course the customer is female, between 20-35, single good looking and hates wearing clothes. :rolleyes:

b-a-s it is my house had to let spark go after 2 days but seing as i had paid for materials he left them all for me. so now i am having a go myself
i know you will all say get a spark but im gonna learn the hard way ,hence all my questions.

regards bigbob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back