Rewiring an old table light

Sponsored Links
The wire only just came for this so I wired up the lamp holder. The N and L weren't marked so I just put them in where I thought, not thinking it matters the difference, and the earth of course.

This is a photo of the switch I want to fit on the cable. Sorry for the dumb question but which end goes to the lamp?

IMG_20170522_154500.jpg

The N and L weren't marked so I just put them in where I thought

Not marked on the lampholder? Yes, if it's a bayonet fitting then it's symetrical.
(Edison screw fittings should have neutral to the outside and live to the center.)

which end goes to the lamp?

It doesn't matter, it's symetrical.
(Though the instruction sheet does say "input" and "output", perhaps to avoid people constantly asking!)

Sponsored Links
That appears to have a switch, so you should connect live to the terminal that connects to the switch.

Understood. It's all sorted.

IMG_20170522_172829.jpg

I fitted the switch further up because firstly I fitted it about 500mm from the light like a dumbass.

Also the bulb has been changed to a normal halogen as the one in the photo looks retarded IMO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back