Rewiring two flats in to one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to purchase a large house that is currently divided in to two houses.

It looks like the electrics come in to the same place and are distributed from the main porch.

How hard will it be to get a new board put in and put them all on the same supply?
How much is this likely to cost?

Sponsored Links
How long is a piece of string?

It really depends how it's set up, and you haven't really given us enough information to even begin to give you an idea.

If the flats have local fuse boards and you want them both in one place, then it will be a lot more expensive than just keeping the two.

If both fuse boards are in the same place, you may be able to combine them into one. Chances are one set of cables will be too short, so will need to be extended (it's a little more than just replacing a board like for like)

Some photos would help.

The age of the wiring needs considering too.

If it's old it may need rewiring anyway.

Some of the wiring will need altering anyway.

For instance, I imagine one kitchen will be removed for a start.

I suspect the hall and landing lighting and their switches will need altering.

You will probably need linked mains smoke detectors.

You will probably find you need more power points.

You may be making other alterations which will effect the wiring.

There is a good chance just altering the supply for the electrics is just the beginning...

Im just looking to get them on the same supply/meter for now. Breakers may be separate but that can remain as is for now.

Main feeds and meters are collocated.

If I wanted to swap out breakers to where they are what would that cost?

Sponsored Links
Again, nowhere near enough information for a £ figure, but if you do just want to combine into one supply, it might not be too bad,
It could just be a case of combining the meter tails and having one supply removed.

Take some photos if you go for another viewing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back