Ride on batman car

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, Iv just bought a 6v batman ride on car originally from toys r us, everything works on it except for the forward. It goes backwards fine and I have tested the battery in another 6v ride on car and it works fine. Does anyone know how to fix it? Iv bought as an Xmas present so need to fix asap. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you may have bought it second hand. It has a DC motor and to make it go backwards the motor connections are reversed by the reverse switch. It would be too complicated to explain how that works specifically in that toy. If you have bought it new then take it back as motorbiking has suggested.

As suggested I bought it second hand. The seller refunded me the cost of the car so i only paid shipping for it. It would still be nice to fix it.

Sponsored Links
As suggested I bought it second hand. The seller refunded me the cost of the car so i only paid shipping for it. It would still be nice to fix it.

Well it can be fixed but you will need to know a bit about DC electrics and how that specific toy is actually wired. The power to the motor is reversed by a switch and moer than likely a wire has come off somewhere. If it goes in one direction then the fault will not be too complicated to find to make it go the other way. I do not know anything about that toy to point you in the right direction as to the specific fault with it I'm afraid. I would start by looking at the connections on the switch that makes the car go forwards and backwards.

start by getting at the switch that makes it go forward and get a test meter on there to see if its creating a circuit. Given the car will jave spent most of its time going forward, it may be the contact has worn out. if you don't have a test meter then use some wire to bypass the switch to test.

I had something similar when my kids were that age. We swapped the battery for a 12v motorbike batter and the kids has loads of fun as it went about 50% faster

Been and bought a multimeter just trying work on getting switch out which seems a nightmare lol

The switch is probably held by a couple plastic clips attached to the back of the switch. These will need to be depressed towards the body of the switch to release the switch. As you say a nightmare. Dead easy to push the switch into the hole but an absolute nightmare to get out especially if access is not good. Be careful when removing so that you do not pull any of the wires off that are still attached to the switch. One wire off is easy more than one and it will become an even bigger nightmare.

Thankfully alot of stress later it's off. However I ended up taking the worst route to get it lol unscrewed the 4 screws holding in the part that moves the switch. I actually tried swapping wires around on it should have made it go forward right but no still only backwards.

Attachments

• 15120446289702092207748.jpg
    15120446289702092207748.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 232
still only backwards.

Can you see a relay in there somewhere? Should look like this...

41PgAuRSF6L._SX342_.jpg

The switch in your picture is only single pole, so that cannot reverse a DC motor on it's own. There must be more components.

There's something big at the back but doesn't look like that and has something small coming off it. I will attach pictures. There is nothing else located with the switch. Just to add to the diagnosis here is what iv experimented with:

Orange appears to b live because nothing happens without it.
Orange and blue and it still reverses.
Orange and yellow : nothing happens

Attachments

• 15120484120201361347238.jpg
    15120484120201361347238.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 238
  • 15120484458511416337294.jpg
    15120484458511416337294.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 257
That's a thermal overload 'fuse'. If that had blown, the car wouldn't move at all.

You're going to have to delve deeper and take more pictures. There is likely a PCB under that cover. So unless you have soldering skills/equipment you might have one hell of a task repairing this.

That's what I got under that cover :p I detached the whole thing

Attachments

• 1512050895163440338110.jpg
    1512050895163440338110.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 272

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back