Ride on batman car

Here's a question for you which may be a easier fix... would it be possible to transfer sounds and if necessary steering wheel to another ride on? I have a bmw one but really wanted him having the batman one. Now if I could transfer the sounds then I could find a way to transfer it's wings and good to go

Sponsored Links
It looks like the two blue relays are supposed to be doing the forward/reverse switching and the black one is probably supplying the current (i.e. it is being switched by the foot pedal)

So, one or both of the blue relays is the likely culprit. It's possible to work out which one using the multimeter.

It's a bit worrying that they are all rated at 5vDC, yet the battery is 6v, that will have led to this premature failure. So replace all 3 relays if can source them, because the other ones will be on their way out too.

which may be a easier fix...
I doubt it! Unless it's the same manufacturer and roughly made at the same time, that sounds pretty impossible!!

These could well be the right ones...(the 6vDC version)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182307853836
...but you should really ask them for the pin spacing dimensions and pinout diagram and check them against your PCB before buying them. They look a fairly standardised item, but there's thousands of relay types out there!!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
How would I test them with the meter?

This is how two relays working together can change the direction of a motor... (coils not shown)
dsvavdasdv.jpg

The angled lines flip between NC and NO when the relays activate, so the motor gets 6v (as the picture currently shows) or minus 6v.

This is pinout of your existing relays.

So, the pin 'on its own' is the COM from the above diagram.

The simplest test is to put your voltmeter probes onto both COMs and change the forward/reverse switch. You should get 6v and -6v as you swap (foot on the pedal too of course).

There are a lot more ways of testing, which can definitely pinpoint exactly which relay is at fault. Measuring the coil resistance of each relay would be handy, but you have to de-solder them first, or all you get is spurious readings from the other relay's coil during the test.

But as I said even the working one will have nearly had it anyway, so replace both, but you need to make sure it is actually the relays that are definitely the fault first.

My dad Is sayin for me to use the test meter cable to create a connection with orange and yellow wires and press the pedal I presume this is testing the switch since it would bypass it. I guess that would confirm if it's the relays.

Not sure I can? (Attached a pic of the tester)

I did try his wiring but i used tinfoil to connect the two wires. so with blue and orange sure enough it reversed. With the yellow and orange nothing more than the lights came on.

Attachments

• 15120652012011368424138.jpg
    15120652012011368424138.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 117
I'm wondering if there is a simpler fix.
Swap the plus and minus around on the motor (or the battery itself), leave the car in reverse and it will go forward, but have no reverse gear. Better than nothing?

It definitely looks to be relays I have tested the switch this morning with the meter and all seems to be fine.
One thing I noticed when in reverse the click of the relay is heard, in forward nothing. I got the pcb out to try test them but couldn't figure which r the com ones. I also tried to Google the relays to get the info on them with no such luck.

One thing I don't get is my dad said we could bypass the relay to test it. He had me use a wire to connect the orange to the motor wire block.

Attachments

• 15121285866821049275746.jpg
    15121285866821049275746.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 105
I'm wondering if there is a simpler fix.
Swap the plus and minus around on the motor (or the battery itself), leave the car in reverse and it will go forward, but have no reverse gear. Better than nothing?
That's an interesting thing to test how easy is it to swap them on the motor? Can't budge them on the battery.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back