Riello G5X Burner Not Igniting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i was wondering if anyone can help me out with this. Recently got called to a breakdown on a Boulter Camray 3 with a Riello G5X burner. The boiler would purge, spark, and for a split second ignite only for the flame to fail. It doesn’t go into lockout, the fan continues to spin and it repeats this process continually. So far i’ve serviced it (which by the state of the combustion chamber and baffles hadn’t been done in years) cleaned the oil filter, changed the Nozzle, changed the Oil Pump, the Solenoid, Control box and the Photocell all of the obvious culprits on a breakdown like this but throwing parts at it in hope for something to happen just doesn’t work. I’ve run the burner outside of the combustion chamber and can see the electrodes spark and the oil atomising but the oil just won’t ignite. The oil pressure only shoots up on my gauge when it tries to fire but after it fails to ignite i have absolutely nothing. I also took the oil pump off and ran the fan and the motor was definitely driving the pump too. Are we talking a capacitor here or is it possible for the motor being so old just not have enough oomf in it to drive the pump? I’m really at a loss here so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Could be overaired. try putting your hand over the air intake and see if it lights. If so, adjust the slide and reset the combustion.
What boiler is this fitted on? Is it a Camray Balanced Flue? It shouldn't make a difference until you put the casing back on, but if it lights as above and then keeps cutting out then that is a different proposition.

Last edited:
Are you sure that it is oil and not water that you are trying to ignite.
Capacitor only affects start up of motor.
Are you getting a "Wash pressure" before solenoid opens.
I assume you have fitted a new Dog.

Thankfully after bringing the burner home with me I have managed to fix the issue, the main one being the solenoid on the Mectron pump, it didn’t have the metal cover on the top of the solenoid which the nut screws down on to, not sure if this had been tampered with before i serviced it but after taking a cover off another solenoid i had and putting it on this sorted the problem. Has anyone else experienced this as i’ve never had this problem before? Does this help conduct the supply through the stem so the solenoid stays open? Second problem also ended up being the photocell. Thanks for the replies guys!

Sponsored Links
This part of the solenoid assembly (the steel shroud, if you like) is to form a transformer core, which is designed to provide a path for the induced magnetic field to flow around. Without this, its impossible for the voltage sent to the solenoid to produce a magnetic field to open the solenoid so effectively it stays shut.
Sorry for a pretty poor explanation, but without the steel shroud, nothing happens.
John :)

Many thanks for the reply John! Crazy how something so simple has had me scratching my head for a week or so, being a fairly new OFTEC registered engineer (a year to the day) this is all part of the learning process however! I shall definitely get a few of them on order to keep on the van for the future.

The metal cover over the solenoid is essential as you have found out. This applies also to the RDB, but it is supplied with the RDB coil but not the Mectron replacement. Maybe the customer had already tried a new solenoid and did not realise it. What was the P/cell issue? You had already replaced that

Basically after i found out the solenoid was the issue, I put the old control box back on with original photocell only for the burner to go into lockout. New photocell in and she fired up straight away!

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back