Riello Oil Burner Oil Supply Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to fire a boiler that's been unused for a year. Pump has the usual hex extension with allen head bleed screw. The bleed process seemed to go OK but took a lot of attempts as the pump only seems to run for 5 seconds before locking out. But I eventually got a decent stream of fuel & the boiler ran for a few minutes before it locked out again. Trying to bleed again there is very little air & no fuel, so I guess I either have a major air lock or a blockage.

There is a filter at the tank outlet (pic attached hopefully) but unsure how this opens? There appears to be a missing bolt on top which further reading suggests may be for bleeding the filter after maintenance. There is only a gate valve on the tank outlet to the filter, nothing the other side.

Any advice on how best to proceed please? Is it feasible to try to draw fuel through the pump with the bleed screw removed?
Oil Filter.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Bottom part simply unscrews.

Turn off gate valve, unscrew filter casing, slowly turn on gate valve with receptical underneath to see if there is a flow from the tank to start with.

You will need a replacement gasket and filter when reassembling. Might be easier, and just as cheap, to replace entire filter.

Thanks.

Can you please ID the filter &/or recommend a replacement? Is the missing screw significant?

Edit
Looks like a W4 WASP & the "missing" screw is absent on a new one!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
You need to run some oil into a glass jar and let it settle to see if there is any water in it. If there is you will never get boiler to run.

Thanks again, appreciated. I'll order the parts & have a go next time I visit the property.

Will update.

So, as no one like a thread with no conclusion, here's the end to this one.

Removed the filter bowl (which was full of crud) turned on the gate valve & nothing. Turns out the tank is empty! It's an old metal job that from rough calcs is around 900l. There's a clear viewing tube rising after the gate valve which shows the tank level. This was showing approx half full. Then I discovered the push button that actually allows flow in/out of the tube. Doh!

Fuel ordered... :whistle:

Ah right. Well it's been there around 20 years & hasn't failed yet...

When you turn up to a breakdown look in the tank and announce to the household that you've solved the problem when they ask you tell em theyre out of oil their face says it all and you say you'd be a super engineer if you could get em to run on fresh air.Bob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back