Riello oil burner problem

Anyone with their own swimming pool can afford to pay to get this fixed by a competent service engineer .

Sponsored Links
Anyone with their own swimming pool can afford to pay to get this fixed by a competent service engineer .
Is this the typical unhelpful response from a "competent engineer" or don't you know the probable cause of the problem. Either way, it does not help me as I have the same problem (without the swimming pool :cry: )

fire away dear boy whats your problem
Thanks for your interest :)
Much the same as Tamasheen's was. Just mulling round what it can be for our Riello40. Only difference is that it does not fire up. The fan runs, 5bar on pressure gauge, does not go to lockout, so fan never stops & burner never fires up.
I presume either
Solenoid is not working or filter on pump inlet blocked (there is fuel in tank :))
Transformer = no spark
? Magic eye

Not sure which of the above allows the fan to run, yet not cause a lock out :confused:

Sponsored Links
first thing i would check is the photocell and solenoid coil have not gone open circuit both easily checked with a multimeter

could be your drive coupling is broke between your pump and motor, you would have to connect an oil pressure gauge to your pump and when the motor spins crack open the bleed screw and see if the oil horses out. If not its your drive coupling is broken.

could be your drive coupling is broke between your pump and motor, you would have to connect an oil pressure gauge to your pump and when the motor spins crack open the bleed screw and see if the oil horses out. If not its your drive coupling is broken.

Would I be getting 5bar if the coupling was broken? :?:

first thing i would check is the photocell and solenoid coil have not gone open circuit both easily checked with a multimeter

Yes That's what I suspected. Will check tomorrow, I think we may have the bits off an old burner. Surprised that lock out didn't work, don't remember that happening before.

Peasant why the hell have you responded to a dead thread?
Any Decent Engineer that knows Riello Burners will be screaming PHOTOCELL its the sort of fault that you can diagnose without even seeing the job, This is what happens when Gas Engineers pretend to know all about oil. Oil & Gas while they have common ground, are very different due to the very different way in which the different fuels are presented to the combustion chamber. :rolleyes:

Peasant why the hell have you responded to a dead thread?
Any Decent Engineer that knows Riello Burners will be screaming PHOTOCELL its the sort of fault that you can diagnose without even seeing the job, This is what happens when Gas Engineers pretend to know all about oil. Oil & Gas while they have common ground, are very different due to the very different way in which the different fuels are presented to the combustion chamber. :rolleyes:

chill boilerman2

why all the stress :?:

its a dead thread i know but...............

Peasant, i will bet a cyber pint its your photocell (magic eye in your parlance).

Try your photocell,next time fan runs but it wont ignite,disconnect it,if its at fault burner will ignite then go out after a few seconds.

Can't do that on that Riello as the photocell is fitted to the control box before it is fitted to the burner.

its a dead thread i know but...............

Peasant, i will bet a cyber pint its your photocell (magic eye in your parlance).
Glasgowgas
I guess you owe me :D
Neither coil, nor photocell. Fault in control box, bit of luck we had an old one that works :)
Where's the best supplier for a 530SE control box part No.3001156?

Thank you for your kind thoughts boilerman2. While it's true that the commonest things happen most often. Sometimes there's something you haven't thought of :)

Would I be getting 5bar if the coupling was broken? no you would not even get any pressure on your gauge with a riello with the solenoid coil not opening and 5bar pressure is far too low for a burner to fire

Would I be getting 5bar if the coupling was broken? no you would not even get any pressure on your gauge with a riello with the solenoid coil not opening and 5bar pressure is far too low for a burner to fire
ringy1
The 5bar pressure is required to open the Air damper hydraulic jack that opens the shutter that admits air to the fan. The fan should run for 12sec. before the burner ignites. At this stage the electodes discharge and oil is released by the solenoid valve at 12bar. If the oil fails to ignite, the control box should lockout. Obviously we didn't get as far as that because it didn't stop on lockout. It didn't stop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back