Riello RDB burner not firing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an external Grant Euroflame Oil boiler with Riello RDB burner. Recently it has started to lock out occasionally but then be okay for a while. Having not had it serviced for a number of years i decided to get it serviced. The combustion chamber was cleaner out, nozzle changed, pump pressure and emissions checked. Worked fine for a day or so and then locked out. Pressed reset button and took a few attempts but did fire up, but then within the hour it had locked out again. I reset again and same thing happened. Now it just won't even begin to fire up. I press the reset button and it buzzes for a while, then clicks and makes a louder buzzing and then resets again. Can anyone help? (We have plenty of oil) Advise very welcome as I'm so fed up with this boiler now. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20190331_182310.jpg
    IMG_20190331_182310.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 709
  • IMG_20190331_182303.jpg
    IMG_20190331_182303.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_20190331_182341.jpg
    IMG_20190331_182341.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 2,738
Sponsored Links
Check out the capacitor and replace. The service bod should have tested this
on the service.

Did you get anywhere with this? I had someone look at our similar boiler. He didn't want to service it as he said it's just as likely to fail after a service given its age.
The recommended service wouldn't increase reliability as it would only include a clean and a few standard parts like filter and nozzle.
He Suggested a replacement asap. Just by looking and not touching it. A week later ( Xmas week) it's starting locking itself out and I found myself looking here......
Now and again when I press the reset button it sounds like the air purge fan motor is stuck. Other times it just starts.

Sponsored Links
It might be the capacitor, if it is, you will get a buzzing sound for maybe 10/12 seconds and then stops/locks out.
If you can see the fan, ensure boiler switched off and get a small screwdriver or the like, insert it in the fan impeller (vanes) and try and turn the fan back and forth, you should feel a fairly light resistance as the fan motor also drives the fuel pump, whether easy or not to turn, get a tin of WD40 and squirt a little around the fan casing and see if this helps. If you can't access the fan, just give a few squirts (sparingly) of WD40 into the air intake slots the next time it fires up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back