Right angled plug?

Also, some socket plates have the outlet moved higher up towards the top of the accessory in order to accommodate such an appliance plug.
Indeed -but there is very little scope for that if one wants to remain compliant with BS1363.

Unless I dreamed it, I think that there is a minimum allowed distance between the earth pin and the edge of the plate - presumably so that it is impossible to insert just the earth pin of an upside-down plug (into the earth receptacle of a socket mounted on a surface box) and thereby open the (unoccupied) L & N shutters (at least, with 'traditional' shutter mechanisms).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Pretty sure there is a requirement relating to the bottom of the socket for shutters operated by the live/neutral pins, but no requirement on the top of the plate for shutters operated by the earth pin.

Indeed -but there is very little scope for that if one wants to remain compliant with BS1363.
I mean one made to the standard. Like this one:

upload_2022-2-24_7-27-4.png

Pretty sure there is a requirement relating to the bottom of the socket for shutters operated by the live/neutral pins, but no requirement on the top of the plate for shutters operated by the earth pin.
I presume this is what we're talking about is the following from BS1363-2(the 1995 version still apparently being 'current'....

upload_2022-2-24_15-35-42.png

By implication, the first bit (9.5mm) relates to the situation in which the shutters are opened by the earth pin but, unless I'm missing something, this requirement doesn't make much sense. If the shutters are opened by the earth pin, then if the receptacle for the earth pin is too close to the edge of the plate, such as an upside-down plug can have just it's earth pin inserted, then that will open the L/N shutters even if they are 'a mile' from the edge of the plate, won't it?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I would assume the 9.5mm (which I suspect was originally ⅜in) relates not to preventing incorrect insertion, but to other factors such as reducing the risk of contact with a partially inserted plug,

I would assume the 9.5mm (which I suspect was originally ⅜in) relates not to preventing incorrect insertion, but to other factors such as reducing the risk of contact with a partially inserted plug,
Perhaps, although I'm not sure that it would really achieve that.

As I said, I had always assumed that the dimensional restrictions were there to prevent the earth pin of an inverted plug opening the shutters of (exposed) L and N receptacles, but it seems that such is not the case.

Kind Regards, John

I presume this is what we're talking about is the following from BS1363-2(the 1995 version still apparently being 'current'....

View attachment 262211

By implication, the first bit (9.5mm) relates to the situation in which the shutters are opened by the earth pin but, unless I'm missing something, this requirement doesn't make much sense. If the shutters are opened by the earth pin, then if the receptacle for the earth pin is too close to the edge of the plate, such as an upside-down plug can have just it's earth pin inserted, then that will open the L/N shutters even if they are 'a mile' from the edge of the plate, won't it?

Kind Regards, John
Bit of a wild guess but could the measurements be to assist people with sight impairments

I suspect it's just about keeping a reasonable distance between live parts and anything that might touch (or come dangerously close to*) them. Remember pin insulation on BS1363 was an afterthought. When the standard was originally designed plugs had solid metal pins and some such plugs are still in use today (though increasingly rare).

The further a pin is from the edge of the plug and socket, the narrower the range of angles at which an object can enter and either touch touch at least come dangerously close to the pins. Also remember that many objects are rounded and/or squishy.

* As an aside, one of the curious facts about electrical design is that surfaces where solid insulators meet air are considered to be worse insulators than either the solid insulator or the air. This is because contamination of such surfaces is almost impossible to prevent.

I suspect it's just about keeping a reasonable distance between live parts and anything that might touch (or come dangerously close to*) them..... The further a pin is from the edge of the plug and socket, the narrower the range of angles at which an object can enter and either touch touch at least come dangerously close to the pins.
That's surely only relevant to the plug, not the socket, isn't it?

For a given distance between a plug's pin and the edge of the plug, the 'access angles' will be the same whether the receptacle for that pin (on a socket) is 1mm or 1 metre from the edge of the socket, won't they?

Kind Regards, John

If the socket is mounted flush on a flat wall sure, but I suspect the authors of the standard did not want to assume that.

I don't have the standard handy right now, but I wonder if there is a similar minimum distance in the "plug" part of the standard.

If the socket is mounted flush on a flat wall sure, but I suspect the authors of the standard did not want to assume that. .... I don't have the standard handy right now, but I wonder if there is a similar minimum distance in the "plug" part of the standard.
If I'm understanding correctly, it appears to specify a maximum, rather than a minimum, distance from pins to edge of the plug ...

upload_2022-2-25_3-53-31.png

upload_2022-2-25_3-52-18.png

Kind Regards, John

So I have a socket located in a recess in my new house. Obviously not the best position for the plug to go in as it fowls the bottom. I am trying to plug a sky power cable in the photo. Is anyone aware of a plug where the cable comes out at 90 degrees so it wouldn’t foul? Thanks
One must wonder why you "have a socket located in a recess in my new house" where a "standard" BS1363 plug cannot be inserted.
Be that as it may, since you appear to have room to install an adjacent square "base" and a BS1363 square "Socket Outlet" - with or without any switch (the "switch" being unnecessary - according to BS1363) - you may install and connect (appropriately) any such an additional socket-outlet "sideways".

(One benefit of the British/European practice of having the dimensions of the electrical "face-plates" based on squares of 86 mm is that such "square" face-plates can be mounted either horizontally or vertically, without appearing to be much different, if that is of any importance!)

If it was me i would do this if I COULDNT resite or replace the socket
20220226_103924_001.jpg 20220226_103941.jpg

OK maybe not 100% legal I have control of its use and am aware to not pull on the cable to remove the plug

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back