Right angled plug?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

So I have a socket located in a recess in my new house. Obviously not the best position for the plug to go in as it fowls the bottom. I am trying to plug a sky power cable in the photo. Is anyone aware of a plug where the cable comes out at 90 degrees so it wouldn’t foul? Thanks

Attachments

• A501DDCC-8BF1-44F8-8E71-20953CD9B568.jpeg
    A501DDCC-8BF1-44F8-8E71-20953CD9B568.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 241
Sponsored Links
a plug where the cable comes out at 90 degrees
No.

Options are to replace that double socket with a single mounted sideways
or use one of those horrid cube shaped 3 way adaptors which will allow the plug to go in a different orientation
or alter the cupboard to provide more space
or relocate the socket to somewhere more suitable.

Last resort you may be able to change the lead to one with a 2 pin plug and use an adapter like a shaver plug that matches the plug.

Maybe theres a plug with the flex out the front similar to the waterproof clipsal ones

upload_2022-2-22_22-1-44.png
They are made, but one on left likely now discontinued and one on right costs over £100. I would mount the socket sidewards. I have used grid sockets upload_2022-2-22_22-6-27.png but can't say if they can be fitted 90° out. I have a feeling the LAP one I used could not, one shown is tool station, but not used enough to remember.

Sponsored Links
Looks like a normal non moulded plug may fit what you have anyway

View attachment 262038 They are made, but one on left likely now discontinued and one on right costs over £100. I would mount the socket sidewards. I have used grid sockets View attachment 262039 but can't say if they can be fitted 90° out. I have a feeling the LAP one I used could not, one shown is tool station, but not used enough to remember.
Euro modules can't be fitted in the plate sideways, as they rely on clips top and bottom to hold them into the plate.

I don't think I've seen a modular system other than Euro modules that can put a 13A socket on a modular plate for a standard backbox.

Hi all,
Is anyone aware of a plug where the cable comes out at 90 degrees so it wouldn’t foul? Thanks
Strictly speaking yes, I'm aware of a few, but none seem to be practical options. IIRC BS1363 expliciltly requires side cable entry, so a plug with straight entry is non-standard.

MK used to sell such a plug as a spare plug for a cable coupler, part no CCP133PBLK but it seems to be discontinued and impossible to find.

Schnider/clipsal make a screw-lock 13A plug, It's kind-of bulky, I think it will just about fit in most normal sockets, but I'm not 100% sure on that. It's also rather expensive. Part number is 56p313

I also found a straight 13A plug on an audiofool site. https://www.mcru.co.uk/product/furutech-fi-1363-g-gold-plated-mains-plug/ but at £97 i'm not paying that much.

Anyway, some other options.

If you use a mains lead with a non-moulded plug it will probably just fit. It will mean a fairly tight bend in the cable but as long as it's not moved frequently that shouldn't be a huge problem.

Another option is to use a socket tripler as a right angle adapter. e.g. get https://groceries.asda.com/product/electrical-essentials/status-3-way-adaptor/910002420388 and plug into the socket on the side.

Options are to replace that double socket with a single mounted sideways....
In such a situation, I think I would probably consider that to be 'best' approach ('the least of the evils') - even two single sockets mounted sideways, a little distance apart, if two 'outlets' were needed.

Kind Regards, John

IF the current plug is cut off and a rewireable plug is put on - there will be less of a cable strain protection on it so the cable would easily fit.

Can the face plate go up-side down? There's slightly more space at the top and might just give you enough to use a non-moulded plug. If the appliance is not high powered, you can go for a thinner cable.

Once up-side down, you can also make a hole in the ceiling since you have plenty of holes there already. Nothing to stop you making a hole below the plug now. Depending on the position, it may well be innocuous.

2-way-13a-fused-adaptor-2807-p.jpg

Socket moved upwards:
ML-1375.jpg

Last edited:
IF the current plug is cut off and a rewireable plug is put on - there will be less of a cable strain protection on it so the cable would easily fit.
Im sure it would to.
One would assume the previous houseowner used the socket.

It looks like the socket could be moved a smidge upwards.

Also, some socket plates have the outlet moved higher up towards the top of the accessory in order to accommodate such an appliance plug.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back