Right ok! whats the trick?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how do you get a nice bead of silicon sealer? mine always looks like a dogs dinner when i try and triangulate it after ive ran a length of it! (if you know what i mean)?

Sponsored Links
Run a length of masking tape about 4mm either side of the seam - make sure its well stuck.
Apply the bead of silicone, and press in with your finger. The excess goes on the tape.
Peel the tape away, and lightly go over the seam again with your pinky.
Its a bit awkward behind taps!
John :)

You can buy silicone scrapers with a nice radius on, think that they come from Screwfix... Oh and some decorators wipes are handy for wiping wet silicone when you get it where you don't want it

Sponsored Links
90% of it is just using the right bead width for the job so it fits the gap with just enough over to seal at the edges. Cut the nozzle to achieve this. Then you apply in a single smooth motion, confidence helps. Tooling off a bead of the correct width is easy and clean. You can do it with your finger or a plastic tool. Your finger may not work so well if the bead is very wide. Again, a single smooth motion. You can't do it in bits like painting a wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back