Ring Doorbell Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon All,

I wonder if someone can help. I would like to wire in (Hard Wire) my Ring Doorbell2 . I have a Nest Thermostat which is powered by the mains (on a circuit, not plugged in) close to the door.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to spur off this with some 18 AWG wire to power the doorbell?

Would i require any other electrical accessories, transformers or equipment if it is possible?

Many thanks,

Sponsored Links
What voltage does the doorbell require? What voltage is available from the Nest?
AWG is American wire gauge. Where do you expect to get American wire from this side of the Atlantic? Why not use British wire?

Hey Winston1,
Nest requires 12v to operate. I havent used a multimeter yet to check the voltage coming through.
I would be sourcing British Wire. Ive just had another look through and also at the 2 short cables supplied in the box and its showing .5mm Wire (Bell Wire) which is what the cables look to be.

Hi,

The Ring doorbell 2 has a recommended power supply of 16V AC at 30VA.
This is because it is designed to work with existing bell circuits, transformers and internal Sounders.

Screenshot_20211129-183651_Chrome.jpg

The Nest thermostat runs from a 12V, low current supply fed from the heatlink, that also carries data.

Sorry, I'm afraid you can't simply spur from the Nest :(

Sponsored Links
I've also got a hardwired ring doorbell to fit, I bought the doorbell and chime on a black Friday deal.

I'll be fitting one of these,

https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-...zdC4vhvEou1OYnnOG_MaAh_eEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

In my case I can easily get a cable from the consumer unit to the doorbell as I'm currently doing building works.

Chris
As that supply is rated at 8VA, it is a good way below the recommended 30VA.
It may still work, as the main function of the supply is to charge the battery, but that's not guaranteed!

In my case I can easily get a cable from the consumer unit to the doorbell as I'm currently doing building works.

you could take the supply from any convenient nearby circuit, whether lighting or socket.

You should start your own thread, not hijack another.

How is suggesting to the op another way of installing a hardwired ring door bell hijacking the ops thread, you need to get out more winston

You should start your own thread, not hijack another.
I would have agreed, had he been asking questions, but since he has only provided information and tried to help, I don't think he was 'hijacking' anything.

As that supply is rated at 8VA, it is a good way below the recommended 30VA.
It may still work, as the main function of the supply is to charge the battery, but that's not guaranteed!

The manual for my bell (5AT3T5) states 'only connect to 8-24vac doorbell transformer or ring 24vdc plug in adapter or ring transformer'

Based on that the one I linked to should work fine, the op or myself could also buy the official ring din rail transformer for about £20

Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back