ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i got a downstairs kitchen ring which has no continuity when testing r1.
i have opened up all the sockets to check that they are wired correctly.
is there a surefire method to test where a break may be in the cable?
eg between 2 sockets?

Sponsored Links
Firstly unplug everything and switch off FCUs etc. Disconnect and spread out the LNE at the CU for both ends so they are not touching, then connect L and E together for one end and test continuity of L-E at the sockets.
This will show one half of the sockets.
Swop the L-E link for the other leg and re test
This will show the other half of the sockets.
Either look at the figures and you'll see the figures rise towards the break on either side or take an educated guess.
You can also just disconnect and bell each lenght of cable out individually.

Do you mean that you take the L and E of the same leg and join them?
And leave the other leg seperated while you test and then the same with the other leg?
i.e not cross connected as in a r1 plus r2 test?

Sponsored Links
is it ever acceptable to just seperate the 2 legs into 2 20 amp radials as an alternative to ripping out cables?

how would you know if the lack of continuity was caused by a incorrect wiring of the ring or if there was a break in the cable?

If we taking readings from the CU testing both legs of any given conductor will tell you if there is a break in that conductor or it has been terminated wrongly this could be down to reverse polarity, which by doing a series of test and a visual inspection will help identify this.
What is the problem you are having?

is it ever acceptable to just seperate the 2 legs into 2 20 amp radials as an alternative to ripping out cables?

It is done when there is a total break (L&N) between the two halves as a 'get you out of jail' card.

Its not doable if there is a break in only one conductor of the ring, for obvious reasons!

The problem is that i've got no continuity at the CU with both the L and N conductors

Have you checked at all socket outlets on the ring that they have not come loose?
was this circuit ever working?
when did it stop working if it ever was, has any work been done in the house that could effect the wiring?
Is the tester your using up to the job?

the circuit is working.
the testers i have are up to the job.
i dont know if anyone else has done any work in the property.
i have checked most of the sockets except one which is buried behind
some computer furniture

Always the last place you look, be a bit of a coinsidence if both live and neutral have popped out though but not impossible.
New house then?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back