ripped off by a dodgy builder!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there yes i fell in the trap but a warning not to use this guy, he works from croydon is romainian and will rip u off

my first flat buy in london a nice small one bed in ealing, so through word of mouth i employ and draw a contract up with this guy who starts work straight away, one week in he'd riped out everything and started plastering walls, then asked for all money to purchase kitchen so it would be delivered on time so payed hime £4k in cash,work carried on until he said his plumer broke his leg and he never returned back to flat only to provide a list of stories as to why he hasnt finished work, there are still tools in the flat and a few materials which i think is weird, he also stole a chess set which was of some value to me,i know its small claims to try and get some money back but is it worth going to the police for the chess set as this is theft, would they be arsed to do anything about it?

£5k out of pocket so i guess i learnt the hard way

ealing green :( any advice welcome

Sponsored Links
Is this a wind up? Surely in this day and age nobody is so stupid?

P46.

EG

If he appropriated the chess set without your permission then it is theft. Report the matter to the Police but try to stick to the issue, the theft of your property not that he has ripped you off which is a civil debt.

Clouding the issue with your upset over his building expertise will not encourage the local bill to any great effort.

Are the tools of any value?

TT

not a windup im afraid, yes reporting the theft is what i would do not go on about the building work as yes thye wont do anything about that, the tools arnt realy of any value i think, a heavy drill which looks like a plaster mixing drill, and a tool box full of old tools and a hotwater pipe soldiering kit so maybe £60 max i would suspect

Sponsored Links
hi there yes i fell in the trap but a warning not to use this guy, he works from croydon is romainian and will rip u off

my first flat buy in london a nice small one bed in ealing, so through word of mouth i employ and draw a contract up with this guy who starts work straight away, one week in he'd riped out everything and started plastering walls, then asked for all money to purchase kitchen so it would be delivered on time so payed hime £4k in cash,work carried on until he said his plumer broke his leg and he never returned back to flat only to provide a list of stories as to why he hasnt finished work, there are still tools in the flat and a few materials which i think is weird, he also stole a chess set which was of some value to me,i know its small claims to try and get some money back but is it worth going to the police for the chess set as this is theft, would they be a***d to do anything about it?

£5k out of pocket so i guess i learnt the hard way

ealing green :( any advice welcome

It's been a miserable day but you've cheered me up no end posting that :LOL: :LOL:

And he was recommended??????????????????????????by who another romanian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you have learned the hard way and go to the police for the return of the chess set or if he has sold it ask can you be paid for it ...........by cheque mate :D

haw haw i knew i would unleash all jokes from the joke book on this one but all good, builder was recomended by a woman who he did her kitchen removal and fit in less than a week for £2.5k i guess its the old rule fools rush in...

I never cease to be amazed by the stupidity of the general public. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back