RISCO Agility 3

Sponsored Links
Been installing it for a few months. Seems pretty good, so far. The 2-way radio performance hasn't caused us any problems and seems better than most. There are lots of 'trendy' features for those who like wireless and internet connectivity.

The 2-way radio performance hasn't caused us any problems and seems better than most.
In all licence exempt wireless systems using two way communication removes 99% of the uncertainty that is inherent in all systems using one way communication.

There are lots of 'trendy' features for those who like wireless and internet connectivity.
Why do people believe that wireless offers better features than wired. ( maybe wireless is being sold as the latest technology and there for it can only be better than old fashioned wired systems )

have to say I install it and it is popular.

the wireless systems seem to be progressing differently to the hard wired systems, so if its purley hardwired the new technology isnt being applied or so it would appear.

Sponsored Links
my view is that the majority of alarms that use wireless between sensors and panel / siren are installed by or for people who do not want to pay for a contract with a monitoring service. Therefor these alarm systems have to have means to alert the owner directly when an incident happens.

As fewer people have POTS ( plain old telephone service ) it is necessary to adapt the alarm to be able to call the owner via a mobile phone network, via an internet connection or what ever method the owner wishes.

To make these quick fix, single payment, systems attractive to potential buyers the system has to be seen and sold as having these means of communication. If the average house owner was told that in order to have an alarm system they would need a contract with a monitoring service and a land line telephone they would be far less eager to buy an alarm system.

The people who avoid buying a quick fix wireless alarm and choose a wired system are more likely to invest in a contract with a monitoring company.

The sales related gimmick of the alarm calling your mobile is not as good as it seems when compared to the benefits of a monitoring company.

Not convinced some of those that go hard wired do so on price nothing to do with monitoring.

there are pros and cons like everything else, you cant stop burglaries but you can make burglars favour one home over another.

Seems the answers have gone a bit off topic. It's not really a debate on wireless vs wired or ARC monitored vs dialler, just a discussion on the agility 3 system.

I like the look of the features, camera PIRS which send a sequence of snapshots to the cloud which can then be emailed, SMS back to smartphone. Also the inclusion of IP cameras which enables live stream into property.

Mainly interested in peoples direct experience fitting/maintaining this system.

Thanks

I'm all for the self monitoring, but wouldn't have internal cameras in domestic. Just ripe for being hacked.

hacking in the true sense of the word is harder than stumbling across systems that havent been setup correctly and using default passwords?

"Hacking" the Agility3 wouldn't be that easy... and I don't know what it would achieve. I suppose that it would be possible to disarm the system remotely but the customer would be informed before the burglers got in! Talk about shooting yourself in the foot! :D

The cameras in the PIRs are a great idea - it will be easy to see the cat jumping up on the sofa that set it off! :LOL:

I know the internals of a few grade 2 and 3 systems and I wouldn't have any internal camera having the capability of taking images of my family - no matter what the system. I agree that they are a great idea for business and other non domestic, but not for domestic.

You're also assuming the attack vector would be against the home and not at the hosted service.

Systems can never be guaranteed 100% secure, so don't forget that when adding cameras around the inside of your domestic dwelling or when some salesman without any idea of how the systems really work is trying to sell you something to get his commission.

I don't want to labour the point, but it's the control panel that enables and disables them. If you gain control of the panel, then you have control of the camera. As you say, this is very low risk, but even if less than 0.001%, it's not a risk I would be willing to take myself. Others may have big issues with false alarms, so may justify the expense and compromise.

My own domestic system has only had three false alarms in 10 years, so pretty happy to live without internal cameras. I do have external CCTV, so am in no way against CCTV.

Anyway, I'll not post any further on the subject, as I'm not into forum ping pong. I just think people should think carefully about the justification of bringing internet connected image capturing devices into the home before doing so.

The Independent Thursday 20 November 2014 said:
A Russian website has been found to be hosting hundreds of feeds of live footage from inside UK homes and businesses, which have been accessed by hacking into people’s webcams, which includes CCTV cameras and baby monitors.

The UK’s privacy watchdog has urged people to upgrade their passwords after the website was found to feature 500 live feeds from Britain alone.

The Russian site currently shows what is believed to be a child’s bedroom in Birmingham, a gym in Manchester, an office in Leicester, and a shop interior in London, among others.

The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) has warned that people in the UK with webcams using weak passwords or without any password protection, will be vulnerable to hackers. An estimated 35,000 of such cameras were sold in the UK last year.

The CCTV mentioned does include cameras in alarm systems which were accessible to the owner via Internet. The basic rule is that if the owner can access the images in his or her home then so can a hacker with the necessary skills.

It is possible for a hacker to look around inside a house using the "security" cameras and then decide whether or not to burgle that house. ( This has probably happened but no domestic security equipment supplier is likely to admit it has )

The cameras are accessible when the system is set or unset.

Access requires app username and password and panel user code. With the exception of the panel user code, those are not generic, and the panel user code should be changed away from a generic code.

Also believe the connection is encrypted.

The ip cameras that are on the system are linked into the app, however these are connected to the local network rather than to the panel from my understanding.

The Russian feeds that were displayed were using the systems default passwords to get in so made it easy, they were hacked in that they were broken into, more that they found the service and tried the default codes against them and accessed a few.

Think theres potentially a fair bit of effort required to hack into it and if it worries anyone dont have cameras internally where your exposed.

Back to topic like the system and so do the customers, I don't install cameras in the bedrooms or dressing rooms, bathrooms, not because of hackers but because of other users on the system could abuse them. They have external cameras, and cameras elsewhere in the house.

I believe it is more likely that someone you know is to abuse it than the system being hacked to view you in your bedroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back