Rising Damp - Fact or Fiction?

Sponsored Links
We annexed a small alley betwixt a house and garage once. Garage was a fair bit lower than the house. Customer asked me to plasterboard the house wall and skim. The plasterboards oversailed the house DPC by about 400mm and finished about 50mm up from the floor. Within 4 weeks there was a distinct line of mouldy blistering on the finished plaster below the DPC. The difference was stark. I stripped back and used poly and battens. No dramas now.

Sponsored Links
Did DPC's exist in the 16th century?

If "yes" they must have been needed. If "no", then they must not have been needed. :unsure: :confused:

9nPnW5ZzwPeQFdmMmX4mb-transformed.jpeg

I'd be surprised if any of those properties could be lived in at river level.

Venice is famous for its damp, decaying houses, unfit for habitation.

I don't think anyone contests that bricks get wet when sat in wet soil or next to water.

It's the idea that the water can seep 3 or 4ft into the wall. In that case it's way more likely to be penetrating damp or condensation related.

The solution to which is lowering external ground levels, removing materials that trap damp, ventilation and heating. For buried structures, waterproofing. Just writing everything off as rising damp that chemical treatment will fix is just not right.

The point is .... in that image, where is the rising damp?

The problems with Venice is more related to the actual ground, rising tides and the past construction method using mainly timber for foundation struts.

I went there many times, it was just a weekend jaunt when I was working there. Beautiful place to explore, especially out of season. Built on timber piles, most of the lower floors are unused because of damp.

The point is .... in that image, where is the rising damp?
Without going into the properties it is not possible to tell. Take some photos and moisture readings from the inside.
Are any of those rooms at water level used for anything other than ventilation?

I don't think anyone contests that bricks get wet when sat in wet soil or next to water.

It's the idea that the water can seep 3 or 4ft into the wall. In that case it's way more likely to be penetrating damp or condensation related.

The solution to which is lowering external ground levels, removing materials that trap damp, ventilation and heating. For buried structures, waterproofing. Just writing everything off as rising damp that chemical treatment will fix is just not right.

Even if capillary action in bricks is far less than 4ft, the capillary action in plaster may be far higher than the bricks.

Personally, I have never witnessed rising damp that high but that may be because the owners of the houses that I work in deal with the problem before it gets that bad.

Without going into the properties it is not possible to tell. Take some photos and moisture readings from the inside.
Are any of those rooms at water level used for anything other than ventilation?
You don't need to go in. Look at the brick walls!

No stain, no lichen, no salt stain, no tide mark. No damp by the look of it. Why not? Surely a brick wall right next to a water source should have damp rising up it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back