Robbed S***bags.Help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,
I was away for few days on holidays.When returned I found my front porch canopy roof ripped and 2 neighbor's as well.Police are not interested so far.

According to the locals it is because i has lead on the porch canopy.Why would somebody steal lead from roof when you could get it cheaply at a local diy store.

Could somebody please tell me how do i make a hip porch canopy as the current one is not going to be reused and is in the bin now.I am left with a door with no roof above.

The width is 2.5 metres and the projection is 1.2 metre.I have some spare 2x4 lying around and am able to source some tiles on ebay.

Please advice if i could buy this readymade anywhere of this size or made to order.

I do not have a porch but a canopy with 2x 150mm timber posts either side.
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Post a pic(s) of what's left.

If you google pics of canopies and porches you will be given various options - but dont use lead, they will come back in daylight.

Please advice if i could buy this readymade anywhere of this size or made to order.
Only in either the ugliest, clunkiest GRP fakery you can imagine, or really nice looking but probably totally out of character glass and stainless steel.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone.I have taken down the current canopy as the tiles was smashed.Looks like the thieves have taken some sort of wrecking bar to remove the lead and damaged lots of tiles.

What i have now is a cracked arched lintel above door. Don't know if this is due to them forcing the lead out.Could someone tell me if it is easy to build one or tell me if it can be sources of made to measure.Who should i be looking for a carpenter or a builder.

Would not like to use a fake Grp but something going with the character of the house like tiles again and timber.Please advice.

Google shows a similar one I am after called Clarendon Canopy.Could i build this as prices seem to be :evil:

Insurance excludes canopy roof.if it was porch then yes but not canopy as it is considered temporarory structure😡. Already checked. The arch lintel can be repaired under insurance but the excess is £350. I am sure it will not cost that much to fix it by myself. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

ban all sheds.Did you even BOTHER to look at the picture.Were you sleeping during your english classes.Do you not understand the word"MIGHT BE".If you have nothing constructive to add please do not post and waste time.

ban all sheds.Did you even BOTHER to look at the picture.
I put as much effort into doing that as you did into posting the photo properly.

Were you sleeping during your english classes.Do you not understand the word"MIGHT BE".
That's two words.

And yes, I understand them - my apologies for not writing my reply in a way which you could understand. I will edit it.

If you have nothing constructive to add please do not post and waste time.
If you cannot be rsed to post photos properly, please do not post and waste time.

Looks like the thieves have taken some sort of wrecking bar to remove the lead and damaged lots of tiles.
Yes, the b***ards don't give a damn how much damage they cause if it means they can get a few bob at the scrapyard - because that's all it's about. They cause serious problems (even causing fires and deaths) stealing copper from electric substations etc, and millions of lost man hours through disrupting train services. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your POV), sometimes they kill themselves in the substations - and then the question asked is why someone was able to ignore the signs, and get into a compound with locked gat and barbed wire topped fence (ie enter a place that they cannot possibly with the wildest imagination not know is both dangerous and out of bounds to them), and then injure themselves :rolleyes:

As for Ban-all-sheds, your best line of defence is to ignore him. He's the resident troll who appears to take delight in putting people down and demonstrating his apparently superior intellect - but not in actually helping people over the problem they have. Eg, he gives the impression of taking delight in pointing out that people could have (but haven't) included the photo in their post, but appears to consider it beneath him to actually help them achieve it.

As for the Police, try writing to the Constabulary Headquarters for your force and ask them what progress has been made so far ? My guess is that they (probably correctly) realise that without actually catching them red handed, such thieves are notoriously hard to catch - just catching them selling on the metal won't help unless you can prove that it came from your house. As such, they'll probably have noted it (for statistics purposes) as a petty theft so as not to make their stats look bad.

As for Ban-all-sheds, your best line of defence is to ignore him. He's the resident troll
That is either a lie, or you are very stupid.

Which is it - do you really think I am a troll, i.e. you really are very stupid, or are you not stupid, and therefore realise that I am not a troll, and therefore you are lying?

who appears to take delight in putting people down and demonstrating his apparently superior intellect
If you think that then that's another indication of your stupidity - I do not do either of those things.

Perhaps you think I do because you think that sort of behaviour is commonplace, and you can envisage others doing it because it's the sort of thing you do? I wonder what kind of person is so nasty himself that when he sees someone criticising or complaining he assumes that they are trying to put people down, or display their intellect?

Eg, he gives the impression of taking delight in pointing out that people could have (but haven't) included the photo in their post,
Go on then - I challenge you - please show where what I have written (AND ONLY WHAT I HAVE WRITTEN) could reasonably be taken by any rational intelligent person to indicate that I took a delight in pointing it out.

I wrote "And do steps 9, 10 & 11 as well as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8", and "If you cannot be rsed to post photos properly, please do not post and waste time" - what on earth, in that, looks like I was taking a delight in doing it?

but appears to consider it beneath him to actually help them achieve it.
It's not a question of it being beneath me - it's one of not letting people get away with the attitude that they don't have to bother to do things properly, as somebody else will do it for them.

You think the OP needed help to get his photos in his post? Well, in that case please look at these:

Step 1
Step 2
Step 3
Step 4
Step 5
Step 6
Step 7
Step 8
Step 9
Step 10
Step 11

and tell me what it is about the last 3 steps which you think he couldn't cope with unaided, and why, because I really can't see anything in them which he couldn't do.

BAS, the people helping the OP don't seem to care if the photo is upside down or sideways or whatever, so what's it got to do with you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back