Rogue customer

DP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One hears about rogue traders and sees their escapades on the telly in full colour. What the viewer does not see are the rogue customers who try every trick in the book.

I had a call from an insurance company to look at a boiler, as their own engineer was no available. Boiler is a Vokera Flowmatic, operation of which I am reasonably familiar with. Fault reported was no hot water and loss of system pressure.

Removed the cover off the boiler. While I am trying to establish what is wrong by looking, listening and feeling, the client is rabbiting on about Scottish Gas engineer (very high up) has serviced the boiler and that there is a fault with EV. Then the same boiler has been serviced by Vokera (who do not service boilers) ‘high up engineer’.

The fan was not turning when no demand on boiler, flow manifold was not operating, main HE seals were leaking, temperature gauge was cuffed, case seal was no good as large number of case clips were missing or broken. However the diverter was recognising the demand and was operating to start the boiler but the primary water was flowing to the radiators but not having much effect on the secondary HE. Secondary HE was full of air (which was purged)

The insurance does not cover boiler breakdown when it has not been serviced. When I told him this, he said that the call was a rogue trader type operation. The client has reported me to the insurance company saying that I have broken his boiler. He has called me on the phone several times. Police has been advised.

It is sad what people get up to. A full report is on its way to the insurance company, who I hope put him on a black list, which is shared by other insurance companies.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Sorry DP but I didn't get it. Please explain the last bit (from where he says its rogue traders) again for this southern thicko. Sometimes I struggle with the Glaswegian accent!

chalk it down to experience. we all get these types now and again. next time you get bad vibes with a job, 'walk away'.

Wasn't that a quotation from the movie 'Heat'?

If you're being paid by an insurance company and the customer is a toady, (not that I have anything against amphibians) then how about ringing the insurance company immediately, and lying to the customer that you have to get authorisation for the repairs. This allows you to get your story in first and ask what the plan is to be. The insurance company might say leave it and just send us your callout bill.

Keeps insurance company happy, and toady can find a nice thick jumper. :evil:

I dont do insurance work, payment on completion is how I work, I dont care where the money comes from as long as I get it, they can fannny around waiting to get the money from the insurance company or mummy and daddy or giro if they like, WE ARE TRADESMEN, NOT MONEY LENDERS.

You might have a point, but insurance companies pay, they are easier to deal with than some ungrateful moaner, and the job MIGHT introduce you to some larger income if the customer is looking to get other work done. But then I'm a lazy git, not a tradesman.

My diary is into mid Feb, dont need insurance work, any replacement quotes to customers are direct to them, with payment on completion, they can take it or leave it.

My diary is into mid Feb......

Ugh!! fancy having all that planning to go wrong. Glad I'm a lazy git, I'll have enough next week, but I don't know where or what it is yet. With a bit of luck I'll have a day free too. :cool:

But you're a star. You get your jobs done so fast, I can tell from the days posts that off you go at 7:31, then about 10:30 then 2:45ish and 4:00ish AND 5:ish then things hot up in the evening. I presume these posts get done when you get back in the van and get on line using your mobile.

I'm impressed :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back