Rogue Traders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone else feel £60 is a tad on the low side?! :eek:

Its fine though because he spurred off the light switch :D

Sponsored Links
Did you see it?

The expert asked a roofer/electrician ( ! ) to change a single socket to double and fit an external light + cabling etc.

Although the camera flashed past quickly, it looked like the CU was a Wylex 3036, with no RCD and no visible bonding.

The expert suggested this was a £60 job :!:

Sponsored Links
Look up Rogue Traders on iplayer.

First bit starts 13m 30s.
Second bit 24m 50s.

I think £60 is a bit stingy.

The "expert" reckons it will take 3 hours.

3 hours + materials = £60?

Presumably you can be a rogue by doing a rushed, corner-cutting, inadequate and possibly dangerous job and charging accordingly, due to ignorance, just as you can doing a ditto job and not charging accordingly out of venality.

I liked it when he trotted to the car when off to get the materials - A chirpy chappy.

I wanna know how he got the cable out to the light - would have liked to have seen how he did it......

I really thought given the lack of RCD he was just going to take a live from the switch and then stick the neutral and optional (in his case based on the socket he did) earth into the earth terminal on the back box.

I'm not advocating this by the way, just saying it would work.

I wouldn't like to guess without knowing the extent of the works, from the initial camera view of the fuse board I could not see any earthing/bonding - but their expert would surely have picked up on that.
Agreed, 2-3 hours is a bit optimistic!

I'd have thought roughly £200/300 for that job!

Hence why I wont be getting a leccy in.

Sure, this is a DIY forum. You do not need an electrician to do ANY electrical works in your own home.

All you do need to do is to be competent, comply with various lumps of regulations, test what you have done and properly document it.

There are some sizeable costs that you have to make to achieve this. I would suggest that these would be more than £200-300.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back