rolling roofing work together

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
First post for me so apologies if it's in the wrong area.

We are planning to take the roof off our 1930s detached and felt / retile using the original rosemary tiles if they are OK.

In future we may extend the loft so I wondered if it would be worth putting steels in while the roof is being worked on and the scaffolding in place. Any thoughts?

Also, the bay windows are flat topped at roof height and I thought about converting them into an 'apex style' merged into the existing roof. Is that major work / expense?

This board is great for advice so keep up the good work.

cheers
Pres'

Sponsored Links
In future we may extend the loft so I wondered if it would be worth putting steels in while the roof is being worked on and the scaffolding in place.

that certainly would be the most sensible thing to do, bit of forward thinking will save you a lot of grief when you come to do your loft conversion :D .

Also, the bay windows are flat topped at roof height and I thought about converting them into an 'apex style' merged into the existing roof. Is that major work / expense?

this is something i would certainly look at doing, just to get rid of the flat roofs, also more aestheticaly pleasing. workwise it is not overly difficult ,if you are doing it yourself a bit of research and guidance from forums such as this and you should be ok.
i would budget in the region of 1k per window as you will have to buy lead,tiles etc.

hope this helps.

do you mean 'convert' the loft.

if so, then it would be an ideal time to beef up the floor should you decide to remove the tiles and lathes. you may also want to think about insulation at the rafter detail combined with any necessary venting.

swapping from a flat to a pitched roof, over these small bays will be rather costly. valley and hip tiles cost a fortune and the timberwork won't be exactly straightforward.

Thanks for the prompt reply and helpful advice. I've looked through a number of sites but not found any info about calculating the size and location of RSJs to go in the loft. Any ideas? Also, I guess that they don't sit on top of the wall-plates so how far into the lf would they go? If you could point me at any ACAD drawings then that would be a help too.

cheers
pres

Sponsored Links
Hi Chappers,
I'm not planning on working it out for real, but would like to get a feel for the work and maybe draw it up so that I can check space, access etc.
cheers,
Pres'

give us a bit more of an idea of the current layout of the loft and what you plan to do and we should be able to give you more of an idea.
Things like windows under existing wall plates, purlins, rafters supporting walls, party or gable end walls etc

Hi All,
Apologies for the delay in replying.
House is approx 30'x26', detached with a pyramid style roof (4' approx line at top). Built in 1930s with no alterations. Covered in red clay tiles.

The loft space is clear. 150 mm x 50 rafters at 450 centres. 100 x 50 wall plates. All approx.

Windows at front 1 x 10' bay, 1 x 2' and 1 x 4'
Windows at rear 1 x 10' bay, 1 x 2' 1 x 2' 1 x 4'.
Along the sides there are three small (2') windows at each side.
hope this helps
pres

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back