roof calculations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have my plans passed but need calcalations for my roof. i have a hip roof and because i am extending out 2500mm i will have a flat roof.
any idea's
regards
terry

Sponsored Links
Are you saying that the hip will need a partial 'flat top' owing to the fact that you can not raise the ridge?

yes it will have a 2500mm square flat roof either of lead or fibreglass.
so they tell me that i need calculations for this roof, unless i use trusses, but if i do this then i will loose most of the axcess in the loft
regards
terry

You will need to show that the load points, particularly where the hip blade meets the horizontal flattie and any purlin ends and centres or indeed any other vulnerable locations, are adequately supported.

It may mean either building up existing internal walls through and into the loft as support or using steel beams and 100mm x 100mm wooden posts.

So, why don't you ask the architect to sort it?

Sponsored Links
i have asked the architect, he say's we need structural engineer to prove weights/ stability calculations and such,
regards
terry

If the architect allowed for liaising with an engineer in his quote (which he should have by the sounds of it) then he should organize it although you'll still have to pay (the eng). I always allow for liaising with the eng in my quotes if it was to be expected. It should only take an hour or 2 for him to organize a quote you're happy with and then incorporate any amendments necessary into his drawings. Sounds like he's a knob! Another one giving architects a bad name. :rolleyes:

The architect has given me a price for these calc's, from the engineer, but i think the price is too high.
What would you recon would be a ball park figure for these calc's?
terry

i have asked the architect, he say's we need structural engineer to prove weights/ stability calculations and such,
regards
terry

So why don't you ask.....sorry instruct him to sort it? He should have an s.e. that he uses regularly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back