Roof in my 1929 Semi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, Ive recently bought a 1929 semi and have noticed that the entire inside of the roof is spray foamed. Unfortunatley I have a few slipped tiles now after some strong wind and missing motar on the ridge. I have been told bad things about the spray insulation but on a quick removal test found it to have not felt under the slate. I have had a roofer out and theyre recommending a re-roof @14k which I really cant afford. I'm fairly competent at most DIY so I'm thinking letting the repair the roof and from the inside remove the foam as best as possible. I'm thinking it may damage some of the mortar between the tiles an batoning but what I want to know is could it be salvaged without replacing all of the original good slates?

Sponsored Links
A new roof is always recommended where spray foam is concerned, and at £14k you can see why!

If it were me I'd rather spend a few weekends with a handsaw, wallpaper scraper, paper suit and mask than fork out for a new roof.

Sponsored Links
You'll be surprised how hard that stuff is to remove , and you'll never get all the nooks
Without stripping the roof
Ive done a 10cm x10cm square and have managed to pull it away in chunks. It'll take a while to do though but my labour is free obviously I prefer that route and I'm confident I can do it. Is there any recommendations of what to use when I do get it all off? As there is no felt can I use the reflective foil lining and either panel insulation or roll insulation?
Thanks all

Not tried it, but I would have thought a multitool with a scraper blade would be useful.

In the medium term, a re-roof might be needed, I can only speak for my own (1930's with rosemary tiles) but it was absolutely shot, tiles ok but large areas of rotten battens and rusty fixing nails. One thing to consider, that spray foam used to be marketed as a "solution" to what I've just described, ie it will stick all the rotten crap together - so be wary of what you find if you remove it!

If it needs a roof then it will be needed regardless. At least I will have tried I guess

We have done it, and even after the tiles are off its a chore.
We used recip saws from above.

Well after lots of rain, it appears the roof leaks.. I have dug about and removed foam where the water is entering and have found rotten battens and maybe a joist or two so thats that. Re-roof is needed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back