Roof leak problems.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

New here. Found the forum when googling looking for advice.

Basically. The issue is my roof leaks. It shows up in the corner of the back bed room a bit up from where the ceiling meets the wall.

It started last year after a big storm. I called the house insurance thinking it may be covered. They sent a surveyor out. He took some pictures with a giant camera and said the flashing between the houses (I live in a terraced house) had failed and it wasn't covered as it was considered general wear and tear. Fair enough.

Called around, got a few quotes etc. the. Started saving. Cash is extremely tight so it took me a while to save.

I've had two roofers. First was clearly a con artist. I told him what the insurance had said. He put some lead flashing over the join between the houses. Took the cash and left. Next time it rained the leak was still there. I called him back and every day for a month and a half it was 'oh I'm sorry, I forgot I'm really busy I'll be there tomorrow 100%'.

Gave up and got another roofer recommended by a friend. After looking at the roof be said he couldn't actually see anything wrong. The flashing is fine. The tiles are fine. The chimney flashing is fine etc. but some bricks just under the roof needed repointing. So he did that. And put a waterproof coating over the area etc. He also sorted the mess the other roofer had made.

Again it rained and the leak persists.

Because he couldn't find anything he said it was probably damp in the house, when it rains the damp is absorbed through the brick and spreads. So I may need to have the ceiling replaced and the walls replastered in the bedroom. Obviously including replacing all the insulation in the loft as that would need to be removed if the ceiling came down.

Does that sound right?

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like I don't believe him, or think he's pulling a fast one. I don't, He was highly recommended and seems like a very genuine guy. And I obviously know zero about this.

But why did it start after a storm and not appear in a small patch that grew over time? And if it's in the bricks why does it appear on the ceiling and not the wall? Genuine questions because obviously this isn't something I know about. So I'm thinking maybe it's obvious and I just don't understand it because I don't know how these things work.

I've spent around £250 on fixing this and gotten absolutely nowhere. It rains. The leak is still there. And I'm at the point now where I'm having massive panic attacks when it rains (I know that sounds pathetic to most but I've been suffering with extreme anxiety for the past few years and don't really have much control over it). I just want the leak (if it is a leak) found and fixed.

Apologies for the essay. Any advice at all is appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Pictures from the outside please!
Is your terrace on a hill, where the next house to you is higher or lower?
John :)

Pictures from the outside please!
Is your terrace on a hill, where the next house to you is higher or lower?

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have a camera. Will try and borrow one today. Could use my phone camera but that's not great. Just general pictures of the roof at the back of the house?

The house isn't on a hill no.

Yes, just give us an idea of where to start.....obviously the tiles / slates arent continuous on your terrace.

Sponsored Links
Ye Gods....that's rather unbelievable.
Personally I cant see how anyone can say that all is well with that roof!
The correct way to do this is for a broad lead flashing to be put beneath the join of the roof tiles, rather than be capped on top. Its also desirable for the roof tiles to be the same type but I appreciate this isn't always the case.
The chimney pointing is poor and the lead flashing there is a mess but the leak must be coming from underneath that capping.
What's it like within the loft......any evidence of water?

Ye Gods....that's rather unbelievable.
Personally I cant see how anyone can say that all is well with that roof!
The correct way to do this is for a broad lead flashing to be put beneath the join of the roof tiles, rather than be capped on top. Its also desirable for the roof tiles to be the same type but I appreciate this isn't always the case.
The chimney pointing is poor and the lead flashing there is a mess but the leak must be coming from underneath that capping.
What's it like within the loft......any evidence of water?

Thanks for the reply.

The capping on top is something the first roofer put on because he said the flashing between the housing has failed, or because is told him that's what get insurance surveyor had said. So that's not been there long.

The second roofer did tell the chimney needed re-pointing but I don't have the cash to get that done right now. But he said the flashing around the chimney was fine.

There is loft access but I'm unable to get up there due to being disabled. Neither roofer asked to look in the loft at any point.

I can't really afford to get another roofer in for them to tell me it's a different issue than the previous two did, spend yet more cash and not have the problem fixed.

I honestly don't know what to do.

I am truly sorry to hear of your plight regarding this roof, and I wish I could soften up the reply somewhat....!
The original repair is absolutely dreadful and should never have been done like that - its really the work of a cut and run merchant.
Those capping tiles - if that's what they are, need to come off and the real situation explored. We have no idea what is beneath those things but I expect that there's little or no lead work used to connect the two roofs. This requires the tiles to be removed from your property and that of your neighbours....who may well be suffering the same problems.
At this point I would think that the chimney isn't a priority - although that's poor too - it will just about hold together.
The good news is that its no real problem for a genuine professional roofer team - they could have that sorted in a day.
I would expect anyone who knew anything would need to have a look in the loft, to check for water traces.
Do your surveyors have anyone they can recommend?

I am truly sorry to hear of your plight regarding this roof, and I wish I could soften up the reply somewhat....!
The original repair is absolutely dreadful and should never have been done like that - its really the work of a cut and run merchant.
Those capping tiles - if that's what they are, need to come off and the real situation explored. We have no idea what is beneath those things but I expect that there's little or no lead work used to connect the two roofs. This requires the tiles to be removed from your property and that of your neighbours....who may well be suffering the same problems.
At this point I would think that the chimney isn't a priority - although that's poor too - it will just about hold together.
The good news is that its no real problem for a genuine professional roofer team - they could have that sorted in a day.
I would expect anyone who knew anything would need to have a look in the loft, to check for water traces.
Do your surveyors have anyone they can recommend?

Thanks for the reply.

The surveyor was from the insurance. He just said they won't fix it and that was that. I did ask but they said they don't recommend people.

There's nobody living next door so I can't ask if the issue is in that house too.

How do I actually find a good roofer? I seemingly have failed twice.

I've already taken a loan to pay for the work that hasn't actually done any good. So I'm £300+ down. I can't take another lone and given what's happened I'm wary of getting someone else in to just waste more money on.

Unfortunately there are cowboys and robbers in all trades, and its a real issue to find genuine people.
I have to say that a good repair would be somewhat higher than the £300 mark though.....just slapping on some bodge and tiles isn't good enough, as you have found to your cost.
I managed to find a great builder from a shop window flyer, recently - although recommendations from friends / neighbours could be a good start.
I can only wish you well in this, and I'd be pleased to hear what others say.

Unfortunately there are cowboys and robbers in all trades, and its a real issue to find genuine people.
I have to say that a good repair would be somewhat higher than the £300 mark though.....just slapping on some bodge and tiles isn't good enough, as you have found to your cost.
I managed to find a great builder from a shop window flyer, recently - although recommendations from friends / neighbours could be a good start.
I can only wish you well in this, and I'd be pleased to hear what others say.

Both roofers were actually recommended by friends. One was supposed to be a friend of a family member. The other recommended by a friend.

I don't know where to start to look, the likes of checkatrade and rated people seem completely skewed because you never seen any bad feedback on there. And to be honest I'm out of money now anyway. And even if I did because I don't know anything about it someone could say anything and I don't know any better so can't disagree.

Should I be expecting them to at least look in the loft? Or just outside etc?

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It's appreciated.

1. all roofing work should be water tested before the roofers come down. (same for guttering & RWP's).

2. fix my roof - "How to join a roof" video on you tube will give you a number of ideas.

3. Your tiles are different from the tiles on the LH roof.

4. the flashing on the stack looks well wonky.

5. Where is your gutter? The soil stack vent is interfering with a straight gutter run. Can you open that window?

6. The fascia looks insecure . google diagrams of gutters and overlapping felt.and drip trays. The tile should overhang the gutter by 50mm.

7. Surely, the leak is entering the empty next door? Perhaps contact the landlord or the council if you consider it to be derelict?

8. It would help to look in the loft (i would) but not strictly necessary until the water test. All trade associations are nonsense, total rip offs.

9. I hope that you can get at least the leak to stop, thats the pits, borrowing money (probably from robbers) only for the "roofer's" to rob you in turn. The world can be a harsh pitiless place at times.
As a DIY'er stay off the roof, let it leak.

Any 'honourable' person would assess the situation from every angle.
That would include getting up on the roof and checking those 'capping tiles' close up......removing an odd one if necessary for a peek beneath.
He would then get into the loft space, and look for water ingress (there's always a trace), feel for wet insulation etc and see how far the water had progressed.
He would then check in the room below the problem area for blown plaster and so on.
Its unfortunate that there is no access next door.
Now - no one is blessed with X-ray eyes so a 100% proposal can't be guaranteed, but it sure would be closer than what you've experienced so far.
So far as I see, checkatrade and rated people are a waste of time and I wouldn't even waste my time there.

1. all roofing work should be water tested before the roofers come down. (same for guttering & RWP's).

2. fix my roof - "How to join a roof" video on you tube will give you a number of ideas.
P
3. Your tiles are different from the tiles on the LH roof.

4. the flashing on the stack looks well wonky.

5. Where is your gutter? The soil stack vent is interfering with a straight gutter run. Can you open that window?

6. The fascia looks insecure . google diagrams of gutters and overlapping felt.and drip trays. The tile should overhang the gutter by 50mm.

7. Surely, the leak is entering the empty next door? Perhaps contact the landlord or the council if you consider it to be derelict?

8. It would help to look in the loft (i would) but not strictly necessary until the water test. All trade associations are nonsense, total rip offs.

9. I hope that you can get at least the leak to stop, thats the pits, borrowing money (probably from robbers) only for the "roofer's" to rob you in turn. The world can be a harsh pitiless place at times.
As a DIY'er stay off the roof, let it leak.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Sorry. I don't know what most of the stuff you've mentioned is.

Yes I can open the bedroom window fine. The gutter is above the window but seems to be enclosed. I don't know how that works etc but the roofer did say he'd clear the gutters and did being down a bucket full of crap that he said was in the gutter. So I assume there is guttering up there.

I've no idea if the leak is next door etc. it's privately owned but there's no tenants. I did get the owners details from the land registry and sent him a letter but it has been ignored.

I'm disabled. So I couldn't get up on the roof even if I wanted too. I wish I could. I could at least then get up in the loft and have a look myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back