Roof slates not sitting flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a new slate roof put on but just a bit concerned about the slating around the velux window. Slates sit at quite an angle. Is there any reason they should do that? Tia

Sponsored Links
Difficult to get a pic but maybe it helps?

Attachments

• IMG_20190321_165758586.jpg
    IMG_20190321_165758586.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 535
Don't know if you can zoom in enough to see?

Attachments

• IMG_20190321_164533489_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190321_164533489_HDR.jpg
    412.6 KB · Views: 356
Sponsored Links
Can you post a picture of the side of the window to show exactly which kind of flashing kit was used. You should be able to do it from opening the window.

Does that help at all?
Why is flashing not the right type? Will it cause problems?

Attachments

• IMG_20190321_165811984.jpg
    IMG_20190321_165811984.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 372
Other side. Not sure if it shows the flashing?

Attachments

• IMG_20190321_165850340.jpg
    IMG_20190321_165850340.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 302
The slate is being lifted by the 7-10mm of flashing beneath it. Impossible to get completely flat, but there are ways to mitigate the lift created by the thickness of flashing.

^^^ Thanks. Would I be right in thinking that while it doesn't look particularly neat it should keep the elements out?

it is the wrong flashing for slate. It should be an EDL this is EDW.
with the correct flashing kit there is no reason at all for the slates to cock up

Why is it wrong? Because the wrong one has been used.

Ask Velux Tech support which flashing should be used for natural slate or even cement fibre and they will say use EDL flashing.

As it is it will more likely suffer from wind uplift and fixing positions must be compromised.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.
I haven't paid for the roof yet so would like it sorted. Is it possible? Is it a big job? Would scaffold need to go up again? Or just wait till one of the tiles break off and call them back then? I live in a windy/stormy part of the UK btw.
TIA

Is that because it's a one-type-fits-all type of flashing rather than specifically designed for slate?
I spoke to a window supplier and they said basically the flashing, that came ready attached to the window, hadn't been worked enough, which I guess means flattening out the corrugated pattern so as to allow it to lay flat.
Sounds like it's case of I'll know for next time.
Thanks for all the replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back