Roofer or gas fitter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to be having a real flame gas fire installed in a few months time. I need a cage or cowl to be put on the chimney to stop the birds falling down it or dropping things down it. I've had a number of roofers quote me for the cage/cowl but one of them has just told me that it needs to be done by someone Corgi registered. None of the other roofers mentioned this - is it true? If so, are the others trying to take me for a ride? Also, am I OK with a cage or do I have to have a cowl?

Thanks for your help.

Dackers.

Sponsored Links
strict rules govern gas fire installations and particularly the exhaust gasses omitted from them, what with carbon monoxide poisoning etc. so, yes a cowl recommended by the gas fire manufacturers, installed by a corgi registered fitter, is the only way to go.

do a google for it.

whats the chimney like - you may need a liner installing as well.

Sponsored Links
get the guy doing the installation to do it or at least spec the cowl for you also if you use someone else remember he can't be any old CORGI guy he must have a ticket for fires.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back