Roofing techniques question

Hi Alastair

Feel free to use technical terms; I've been reading http://www.roofconsult.co.uk/articles/tiling/, wikipedia and a considerable number of forum posts most of the afternoon.. As noted, there are two builders in the family (one was NHBC registered for 25 or so years before retiring) so there are no shortage of people to ask if you mention something I dont understand :)

your lack of chimney ventilation will not be causing the condensation in your roof space
Re this point, I realise I havent filled you in on some key bit of information: the chimney stack does not exist through the lower and upper floors of the house. In the loft, the stack was cut at ceiling level and a hole broken in it at the base. A brick wall separating the front and rear rooms provides support.
Basically if you could look down the chimney pot you would see the ugly side of a plasterboard ceiling. My concern is, as the old rosemary tile/sand+lime torchings (incredible draught, no leaks) were replaced with a felted setup, the airflow in the loft space is dramatically less now than it was.

1. have the tiles been laid properly....enough cover, nailed or clipped?
When you say "enough cover" do you mean headlap, or overhang at the eaves? The verge overhang looks sufficient based on recommendations that I've read (50mm) [but I do note you have raised other verge issues]
I was hoping to watch it be laid, but I was out of the country for the week the works were being done. Nuisance.

2. overlapping new tiles onto an existing roof is completely unacceptable
I'm not even sure that they overlap; butt up to would be more accurate. While doing the work the contractor raised the point that next door's roof (which was re-done about 6 years ago using felt and replacement of the rosemary tiles/replacement with reclaim any that were bad) didnt have sufficient felt layin the region of the dividing wall.. I'm under the impression that he removed some of their tiles to extend the felting from our side to theirs or at least tucked some of our felting under their side. I'm concerned that he's using the water bearing property of the felt to catch anything that makes its way through the silicone join above.. Can't prove it and havent yet seen him to say "so.. just how DID you join the two rooves?" but I plan on doing so when he comes to repair the bathroom ceiling

mechanically fixed into position
THis i'm certain hasnt been done. If I pick on any tile that touches next door's roof, and lift it with my fingers, it will move. For the tiles that are stuck to next door's tiles with silicone, next door's tiles lift too as I lift mine

3. verge tiles are just left hanging over the edges and pointed up.....
I havent yet found any diagrams of how verges are constructed, but i'm looking, and getting an idea from what I'm reading around the net. It's clear to me at the moment though that these verges probably aren't quite right..

I'll go check out redland's site and see if they have technical detail on how to install their tiles. Thanks for your support!

Sponsored Links
hi, just seen your 2nd lot of pics.

the tiles round your chimney will have to be removed, that cement that has been chucked about will have to be cleared away and a lead apron or concealed gutter installed.
the cement is only clogging up the water channels, this will cause serious water ingress.

the last time i seen verges bedded in that manner was in the early seventies!.
in todays standards that would not pass muster, as i said before google roofing websites and see how it should look.

the little bit next to your flat roof has no leadwork installed (lead should run up the roof raggled into the wall and under the tile then protruding over fascia board and into gutter

it seems to be the all important finishing details where all the problems are. was this a roofer who done your job ?????

i understand better now about your condensation problem..even so you still should consider installing soffit or tile vents. :D

if you can lift the tiles with your fingers !!!!!.... the next strong wind will blow them into orbit.

the overhang at the verge detail...through time the cement pointing currently holding the tiles may crack and the wind will lift your verges. always a vulnerable part of roof so particular care when fixing required.

breathable membranes are not designed to be a long term waterproof roof covering, either the tiles are abutted to or overlapping next door is academic, this is the worst part of the job by far and both the rosemary side of the roof and your own will need to be stripped back and the appropriate channeling installed. retiled clipped and nailed.

keep us posted, thanks.

Absolute terrible job so many things at fault its a wonder where to start.

Obviuosly the absence of a proper abuttment with next doors roof, chimney really should be re-flashed and flashed properly, verges as mentioned, lack of flashing at point where pitches change, eaves detail looks very suspect. The whole job just generally looks a mess.
I would see about fixing some guttering above the bay and sorting the existing guttering and as has been said the bay covering looks shot.

Sponsored Links
load of crap, people who do this kind of rubbish give us all a bad name the whole idea of having a new roof is that it is better than the old one not worse.never seen a join like that even using ridge tiles down the middle(which i absolutely hate)would have been better than a bit of sealant. the job just looks crap and slapping gobbo every where aint gonna keep the weather out for very long. hope you get it sorted and give him a slap for being cheeky and scamming you

In answer to a question before; was this done by a roofer? No, by a builder. :/ the quote we got from a roofing company was to strip/felt/batten/refit rosemary tiles and came in at £5000, this roof was quoted at £3000 and was in line with two other quotes gotten from builders known to us. The builder who did the work is a relative of the girl living in the flat downstairs (the downstairs-neighbour) as he seemed far more aware of what he was doing when questioned, than either of the other two.

My brother and father (the builders in my family; one retired, one working abroad, neither avail for this job, and both recommending to leave the old roof alone and just flash the chimeny properly) passed by today for a look. With the bits they noticed, plus the points already reaised here (thanks Alastair and other anonymouses) my snagging list has since grown to:

• Ridge tiles are stuck on with expanding foam, no pointing is evident on any ridge tile. Some wobble.

The cement render capping the chimney was probably mixed without any frost or rapid setting additives and applied too late in the day on a cold day; it is weak enough to be rubbed off with fingers

Chimney brickwork and mortar may need better water proofing if it is to remain sealed; right now any porous areas will soak water in and not dry out effectively

Chimney vent was quoted for; needs installing, avoids need for above

Chimney flashing over ridge area is poor; filling it with compo isnt acceptable

Top course of tiles (not visible in pics as it is hidden behind a scaffold bar, darn) spacing is way out of whack relative to rest of roof; aesthetically ugly.

The stagger on the tiles where the roof changes pitch is nearly non-existent

Headlap of tile on shallow roof is too small; circa 2 inches when 4+ would be preferable due to pitch

Tiles on the shallow roof do not seem to overhang the gutter, or overhang the building far enough, and rely on the felt to drain water into the gutter

The bottom-most row of tiles all round the roof is of a different pitch to the next row up; these tiles have no lower row of tiles to rest on and ought to have had a batten or cut tile as a spacer to ensure a consistent pitch. (Do I remember the phrase "kicker line" being used? Maybe)

On the steeper roof that adjoins next door, next door's tiles and ours finish at a completely different line, do not land in any gutter and rely on the plastic dripmold

Flat roof is knackered, falls toward house, felt is detaching and gutter is blocked with some kind of tarry deposit

Gutters need replacing and/or fitting to the section above the flat roof

There is no hidden gutter beneath the adjoining rooves. We removed some tiles and found only next door's tyvek and ours

The rooves have been stuck together with silicone; a better job needs making

No perimeter tiles are mechanically fixed; those on the back side adjoining roof edges rely on the rest of the tiles in the row to hold them down. Those on the front of the house (where the rooves join) are easily removed with fingers; problem as this is where the row needs fixing most to prevent other tiles lifting. Those on the gable verges need to be clipped

The verges have been formed with expanding foam that has then been rendered over. This might have been better if my brother wasn't able to put his finger through the render; as it is, it's a bit thin

Some tiles on next door's roof have been slid sideways to butt up to ours then siliconed, resulting in gaps between rosemary tiles on the same row, of about an inch.

A broken tile near the chimney has had the corner bit stuck on with silicone. While it doesnt affect the water performance of the roof, fitting another tile would have been better and pretty easy

The garden is full of cured lumps of expanding foam

Lastly.. It seems that re-roofing a non-felted roof with a felted one may have an impact on the thermal performance of the roof, and hence need Building Regulations Approval. No application has been made, though it looks like one can be made in retro if this work hasnt been self-certified by the Competent Person. I'm thinking that making such an application may be useful, to get an official list of these defects.

So far the general consensus between the builder members of the family and also guys at work, who have had work done or done it and been very rigorous themselves, is that this job should be part-paid or shouldn't be paid for at all until an inspection is done, and remedial works are performed. This may mean that Trading Standards and/or another contractor is involved, which sadly will probably sour the relationship with the downstairs neighbour, as the neighbour and the builder who did the roof, are related.

What I'm really sad about, and it harks back to a comment made before; this new roof was supposed to be a peace of mind for a girl who has always considered her roof problematic. The only immediate problem the old roof had was the flashing around the chimney was leaking. As various patching costs over the past 5 years have amounted to what this roof cost, she thought it would be better to replace the roof with one guaranteed for 10 years.
I'm now really sad more than anything, that her hope probably hasn't been delivered. I've seen the stress and sleepless nights the old roof caused (needless worry in my eyes, but she saw the old roof as nothing but hassle) and I don't really want a return to that. Right now she thinks everything's fine, but I won't be able to get all the work done without informing her which means we're back to sleepless nights (and with a recent promotion and degree finals, she really doesnt need it) and worrying about her decorating every time a heavy rain falls

Should I be approaching Building Control and asking for a restrospective check of works-that-alter-the-insulating-properties-of-a-roof to be carried out, or should I just have my brother write up relevant elements of this snag list on his company letter headed paper and approach the builder saying "Er.. independent check of the roof has picked up this list of stuff I'd like you to fix"

hi cjard,
you contracted a company to renew your roof.
company accepted contract and re-tiled your roof.

the job in its totallity is a hash up from start to finish........no payment of any kind should be made for this job/mess.

eaves detail- no overlap into gutter thats why you have bits of plastic under the eaves course.

verge detail- what verge detail, slapped on with expanding foam.

ridges- as above.

abutment detail- non existent ?????...what is that all about.

leadwork- missing, mess, disaster.

vented cap for chimney- errrm where is it.

cover,headlap, no overhang into gutter......roof will have to be stripped and redone...sorry.

this contractor should be ashamed of himself (he wont they never are).
tell your neighbours just what the problems are, and i am quite sure they will see reason.
i would not let this man do any more work on my property!!!!.

retain the money and get another company in to sort out this mess, this is my advice to you.

i dont know what building regs are in your part of the world regarding change of roof coverings (i am in scotland) up here notification if the building is listed or in a preservation area is then required.

keep us posted, stand up for your wummin and as was said before this character deserves a slap for taking the............

I agree don't part with a penny and also let the contractor know that you intend to get the job done properly by another contractor at his expense, tell him you will get the works done and pay him the remainder after you have paid the new contractor.
my father-in-law had a similar situation a couple of years ago i noticed how badly his roof had been done. He had to go down the legal route(luckily he is a solicitor)and ended up employing a surveyor(he got the cost of that back)
I can find out the full ins and outs if you like.

yeah cjard,
first port of call would be my lawyer. trading standards as well.
wouldnt worry tooooo much about your neighbours taking the hump if you showed them the pics of their roof i dont suppose they would be very pleased either.
get a roofing contractor next time!!!, one with a trade affiliation or at the very least someone you can check on previous work he has done.
all common sense really.

For your reading pleasure, a transcript of the conversation I had with the contractor yesterday. I'll be formulating a "list of work" and faxing it over, giving him the chance to rectify faults in the work. I have also contacted some other roofing companies who have said they will come round, look at the job and quote for correcting, and I've contacted the council who say if the loading on the structure (weight of the tiles) has varied by more than 15% either way, or if the job includes a loft insulation change to bring the insulation above the 250 mm minimum requirement, then the work can be controlled under the BUilding Regs, and is basically a cheaper way of getting an "OK" than hiring the services of a chartered surveyor.

THe new roof, by my calcs, is between 14% and 18% lighter; marley/redland rosemary tiles are between 64 and 67 kgsm, the duoplain are 55kgsm. (67-55)/55 = 18%
--

Me: My brother's been on the roof to have a look at some things and he has come up with the following list.. The ridge tiles are stuck on with expanding foam?
B: Yeah, that's how we do them now, they're made of fibreglass
Me: He was expecting them to be rendered on
B: No, they're a lot stronger and there's a special foam now, what we use

Me: The chimney, I thought was going to have a vented cap
B: Oh, she never said, she just said cap it off with a slate because the chimney is just in the loft
Me: That's right, it's cut at ceiling level, nothing on the two downstairs floors and then there is a hole broken in the bottom of it which was providing some ventilation. There's a lot of condensation in the loft now. Where's that come from (reference the vented elephant's foot on the flat roof) – wasn't our old chimney pot there?
B2: We've fitted your pot to next door, because he wasn’t getting any draw at his fireplace.
Me: Right, no problem
B: But you want your chimney vented?
Me: Can you put that [vented elephant's foot] pot on our our chimney then?
B: Yes

Me: Now, the cement render on the chimney as it is is a bit weak, my brother rubbed it with his fingers and it powdered off. He said it was probably put on too late in the day on a cold day and the frost has got at it
B: Well, it'll cure that when we put that pot back on [because it will be re-rendered]

Me: He wasn’t too happy about the join here between the ridge tiles and the chimney, we were under the impression that this was going to be taken off and re-flashed
B: He has taken it off and re-flashed it
B2: The new soakers are underneath the slate, you can see them there [indicates some bit of lead flashing laid between two tiles at the top. It's under the slate, not over it; theyre soakers and he should have realised that
Me: Does that soaker there extend far enough then?
B: Yes, it's fine
B2: Yes
Me: OK, I had a couple of comments as well that rendering (the ridge tile to the chimney) in a situation like this can upset the normal water coursing and divert the water to places it's not meant to flow, it could leak

Me: The top line of tiles, what happened there? The headlap between the top and second rows is massive and it's a bit ugly
B: It's because of the way the tiling runs are done, the back of the house is different to the front, and when we come up in course, we can't just finish off with a little strip of tiles so we've had to put a full..
Me: Could you not have just adjusted the spacing of all the rows of tiles to count for that?
B: See from that last one there (indicates the second to last row), when you set it off the ridge just clips it; we could have left it and not had that tile, and just had a bit of waterproofer in but it's just not good enough, so for that reason we put the extra line of tiles in
(ME THOUGHT: Why not just measure the span being tiled, and divide it up to provide sufficient headlap, then lay the battens at a proper spacing to avoid the last row being a massive headlap?)
because the back of the house gets a lot of wind. It's better to have it watertight and looking a bit overlapped.. (ME THOUGHT: should I just leave it looking a bit arse, or should I ask for the top 3 rows of tiles to be stripped back and spaced out to subdue the extent of this runout)

Me: OK. It might need some vents in the gable wall because there is a lot of condensation in the loft
B: Is it really that bad?
Me: Well, on the side that was catching the sun the other day it seemed to be better, but the felt on the front side was quite soaked. (I neglected to mention the house isn’t actually being lived in right now)
B: I wonder if you'd be better off having a vented tile rather than the chimney
Me: Along the top, on the ridges?
B: No, more in the middle of the roof, two tile vents on the back
Me: Yes, but then you'd need some tile vents on the other side to provide a through flow of draught
B: Air flow's alright from the back, honestly
Me: I've been reading about vent tiles and apparently they work best when they are on both sides of the roof to provide flow regardless of the direction of the wind, so that's why I figured that in the gable end would be less intrusive in terms of looks and you get flow across from the gable and out the chimney
B: OK, we can do that

Me: OK, taking a look at where the roof changes pitch, these two rows.. Howcome there is no stagger on the tiles?
B: How do you mean?
Me: Take a look at the tiles, theyre in line rather than staggered, like brickwork should be
B: We gotta stagger them from this side..
Me: OK, but why on this fourth row up, why is that not a half tile and then it would be staggered relative to the next row
(Builders discuss, eventually realise what I'm saying)
Me: Yes, it's like the rows are in the wrong order.. see the 3rd row up, with the half tile.. that should be the 4th row up
B: Yes, I see. It won't be detrimental to the roof though

Me: OK. I've been told that because the pitch of this part of the roof is much shallower, that the headlap of the tiles needs to be increased. Here the headlap is about 2 inches when it would be better at 4 or more
B: I'm happy with that lap, are you, builder 2?
B2: Yes
B: For that kind of pitch, that headlap will be fine. I'm happy that it will be OK
Me: Now, these tiles on the back verge of the shallow roof, they don't project far enough and they rely on the felt to dump the water into the gutter. I don't think the felt will provide an effective permanent dripping strip to put the water into the gutter, plus this last row of tiles is on a different angle to the tiles on the rest of the roof.. it's a steeper pitch
B: Yes.. That's double battened too, believe it or not
Me: Can it be triple battened?
B: The actual gutter, is too low, it wants lifting
Me: Well I'm thinking to have the gutters replaced as a separate job because the outlet there in the cast iron one is tiny.. So what to do about the tiles?
B: Well you can't really triple batten
Me: Well how about sticking another row of tiles in as a kicker
B: Yep, if you put another row of tiles in it will help it kick up a bit but the gutter will still need looking at
Me: Sure, we'd get those sorted out as well
B: I could put a flashing kit into it
Me: Same as over the bay window? That slab of black plastic?
B: Yes
Me: Yeah, well I'm not 100% happy with that either but I'll get to that

Me: The verges here on the shallow pitch part facing the bay.. I've had a comment that the render isn't thick enough. My brother was squeezing it to see, and his finger went through it so I don't know whether the expanding foam underneath it has carried on expanding and pushed it out but also, there;s not much of an overhang here.. there should be about 50 mil on the verges, but the rendering comes out triangular to meet the tiles which means there is no overhang on the verge
B: It's the fault of the render of the wall, the way it steps out
(ME THOUGHT: Well cut it off then!)
Me: No, I'm talking about the verge just under the tile.. it goes triangular away from the wall out the edge of the tile. If it was just straight up, no problem, but it comes out to meet the overhanging edge of the tile
B: We haven’t put that render on, that's existing render
(I think he and I are talking at crossed purposes, we climb up to point at what I'm talking about)
B: Oh, yeah, that is wrong that is, the foam's carried on expanding and pushed that out. We'll take that out. We just re-did what was there.
Me: OK, now at the same time can you put a lead gutter in here [indicating the point where the edge of the shallow roof meets the steep roof], so it's flashed off this side, and water cannot get between this steep roof tile, and the wall. It's a short section so I want it continuous from there (indicates eaves edge of steep roof) up to past the point where the roof changes pitch
B: Yes, we'll do that.

B: So, you don't like that slab of black plastic that dumps the water onto the flat roof?
Me: No, not in the slightest. I'd prefer to have a line of tiles dumping water into a proper gutter, and have that line of tiles finish in line with next door's roof
B: Well there was never any gutter there before
Me: Mmm, I know.. The guttering would be a sorted as a separate job, but I think it does need doing. I'm not expecting you to do that in with this one
B: I don't know what happened there (ref the slab of black plastic)
(ME THOUGHT: Get the feeling that this guy doesn’t always supervise jobs and leaves less capable workers to bodge stuff in, but if he's going to have it sorted..)
but the flat roof does go back far enough to catch any water..
Me: Yeah, but it's leaked before and it's knackered. You can lift it up here look..
B: Dear god, yes.. It's knackered
Me: That wants replacing too, but again, as a separate job, and a proper gutter because neighbour's roof is collecting water which is dumped onto a broken flat roof too; it's just going to be a headache
B: Where does this crappy bit of gutter go?
Me: It was blocked, so, nowhere. I unblocked it and it now dumps onto the flat roof down there, then flows across and off
B: Right, yeah..
Me: Probably best off having a gutter that runs right the way along, down there, along and into the drains on the other side properly
B: I'd agree with that

Me: can you make these tiles finish on a better line with next door?
B: The only thing I can really do is put another row in. I can't bring these ones down because of the lap. I've done one (ONLY ONE?) of these before and they had the same [change of pitch]. When you start, you have to start off that point there (where the shallow meets steep, mid roof) and work away from it otherwise it looks a mess. Cause we started there, the batten runs through at that level and there's nothing I can do with that short strip cause of the size of the tile. It's a pain in the arse.
(Discussion of why the ceiling is cracked in the bathroom. Moving swiftly on)

Me: Now, this join. I can't see any gutter under there. We took tiles out and had a look and couldn’t see anything
B: We use a double felt, we put the felt under (the neighbours roof) and then re-use the other felt (from next door) cause it's a rubberised felt which is quite adequate for that. They're quite happy for us to do that. [If you use one of those hidden gutters] then the roof tiles kick up; there's a big kick on them. I did explain this (to her father; I wasn’t involved in the preliminaries), you get a horrible kick up, you have to sand/cement the join and they crack, and it still lets in.. But with that we put a sealant down, double felted and we've never had a problem with it.
Me: Is it a problem, to join two roves together with silicone?
B: No
Me: I've read though, that typically there is a line of cement render, concrete, even ridge tiles at an ugly push.. and the really expensive ones are a wooden bolster wrapped with lead and secret gutters on both sides
B: That's right.. Well we could have sand and cemented that rather than the silicone. I prefer the silicone because it doesn’t crack
Me: And that's good for 10 years is it?
B: Well if it leaks, I come back and I'm quite happy to do that. I don't think it will because it's double felted.. I swear down, the hidden valleys are a pain in the arse and that's why we stopped using them

Me: Now, next door neighbour's tiles have been pulled over to butt up in some places. Is that going to cause a problem?
B: No

Me: The perimeter tiles, should they not be fixed down?
B: No, you can't fix these on here (indicates the tiles abutting next door)
Me: I'm more concerned about the front side tiles actually because of the way these tiles lap over each other.. on the front side the last tiles to be laid are the ones in the middle of the roof, which means they hold down the next tile, which holds down the next tile. My bro lifted the lead apron at the front side of the chimney to have a look under it and the tile at the top slid out, nothing holding it
B: I'll take a look at it
Me: He said it's really important to make those tiles to be secure because the security of the row depends on them. Also, the very top tile on the front under the chimney apron, the corner broke off and it's been siliconed back on. Can you change it
B: I'll take a look

Me: Last thing.. He was expecting to see some clips on the verge tiles
B: No, there isn’t any clips. We don't use the clips, and what I've done there if you see, is provide a greater overhang on the gable end, because the gable was always wet every time we came we've allowed more overhang than normal to keep the water off the gable. Certainly don't need the clips, we've just pointed them up. Normally I would have put a board under there, but because we've left a good lap, we can't get the board to sit in

(JUST THOUGHT: So, bigger overlap, more for the wind to lift, more need for clips)
(I'm a little confused at this point. I'd have asked for clarification but it's sheeting down with rain and we're debating over clips. It seems an easy retro-fit to me so I don't push it)

Me: There's some lumps of expanding foam littering the garden, and final point I just remembered.. We contact the planning permission guys and they said though planning isn't needed, any change that affects the insulation can require building regs approval unless it's done by a contractor who's a member of a competent person scheme.. Can you certify it, or do we need to ask them?
B: You would need to get it certified with building control then, because.. Theyre quite happy with the felt I can guarantee that.. Of course you can see we've helped your insulation rather than not helped because there was no felt in the first place. The amount of roves we've done I've never heard of that come up to be honest. That’s a first time I've ever been asked.
Me: I'll phone the council and ask them then
B: Yeah, no worries. I know most of them on the council and I never heard of that. It might be part of this eco.. (I forget) Youre not going to lose as much heat out of there, now because of the felt. I'd have thought if we hadn’t felted it they would be a bit concerned
Me: Yeah, though now of course there's a bit of a condensation problem that we need to sort..

(Some discussion about the guttering, who will do it, when it will be done etc)

B: Do you want us to replace the flat roof too?
Me: Havent decided what to do with it yet.. I don't know how viable it would be to extend this shallow pitch part full span to cover it, but the framework for it would be a bit of a pain
B: Yeah, you couldn't really do that, not with [these kind of tiles], you're probably looking at replacing it with the same thing, flat roof with felt. It's got other problems too because it falls toward the house

B: Now, we'll try and get that bathroom skimmed over. It'll need a new skim cause it cant' really be repaired

(Some discussion about how things will be done and when. I agree to make a list and fax it over)

--

Long, wasn't it? ;)

Now some questions:

Am I OK to have the short ridge tile to be moved to the chimney end? It just looks ugly being between two full size ridge tiles, but if it has to be there, I guess I'll have to accept it.

The top row of tiles, hidden behind the scaffold bar (doh) with the massive headlap (visible in the below picture of the gable end - click for bigger):

[Open Image] [Hosted by PhotoGalaxy.com]
Is it reasonable to ask that the top 3 or 4 rows of tiles be stripped, battens moved and relaid to lessen the ugliness of this frankenstein row? Or is it better to just either have the tiles cut shorter, or left as is and put up with it?

I'm going to ask for the shallow roof to be stripped and relaid with a bigger headlap, proper stagger, sensible gutter projection, proper verges and a kicker row of tiles. I never asked before, but here and maybe elsewhere the felt is sandwiched between two battens.. Having been told by the building inspector that it is the design of a breathable membrane that condensation soaks through it, maybe condensing on the tiles, dripping off the tiles and running down the other side of the felt, should the bottom of a felt line be sandwiched in this way? (I know that felt is not supposed to be a water-course but if it ever were..) Should I be having an alteration made to this?

Vent to be installed in gable end. Is there any calculation I can perform as to the size of the vent required?

How many of the tiles will have to come off in order to fit the gutter between the two rooves? All of them? A triangle of them?

I found this picture..
tile_roof_before_after_03.jpg

I'm curious to know why there isnt some kind of top covering here, like a mortar bead? Should I be asking for a mortar bead or just having them left abutted? (without silicone)

When it is recommended that "all perimeter tiles be mechanically fixed" what does this mean? That a screw or nail is whacked through the hole at the top, and a clip in the headlapping section is applied? Does the clip need to fix to anything?

The builder complained about the short distance between the point where the shallow pitch meets steep, and the bay window verge, saying that was the reason for the slab of black plastic. Am I being reasonable in saying "nonsense, strip those rows of tiles out, adjust the battens so you can put another row in without it looking like a pig's ear, and fall it into a gutter properly" ?

The last, and perhaps most important question; why am I doing this?! Why am I taking a week out of my life to write letters, make phone calls, bore you guys senseless and stand in the ****ing rain with 4 laser print sheets of faults? I went to uni to become a software engineer so that I could pay someone else to do this. As it is, I'm wishing I'd read up on everything, spoken to you guys and done it myself - i'd have taken a similar amount of time as has been poured into it so far, paid less and been happy with the job. Bah. ;)

Thanks as ever for all the advice and opinions received so far :)

Give him 60% of material cost, and tell him to **** off, then get it done properly. You're trying to polish a turd.

hi cjard,
thanks for the update,

xenons advice is probably what we all think you should do.

the roof needs stripped to put the tile battens on at the proper guage....accept no other alternative.

everything else has already been said.

here here there is no reason why the eaves line cannot runnin with next door, the only way to set this right and to set the gauge right is to strip the roof back to the underfelt, re-batten and re-tile.
he knows he has ****ed up as he is not able to justify most of his bodges, now he knows you have some idea what you are talking about.
Why is he saying yes he will do things and that they should have been done that way when he should have done them correctly in the first place.
I would tell him you will pay him for the materials and that is it, if he kicks off tell him you will see him in court.

I'm sure you don't need to hear this now and are fully aware, but for the benefit of others. Sometimes the cheapest quote is not always the best value for money.

another statement from a pro,
if your roof is ever to be right it will have to be stripped............
you cannot bung tiles into the eaves course to extend into the gutter.....
this is a nonsense, your "builder " is incompetent.....fact !!!!!!.

your £3000. roof is going to be like a patchwork quilt. it wont last 1 winter...

take our advice cjard.

There's so much wrong with this roof that the only option IMO is to strip off and start again

Just a couple of points:-

1. When you worked out the weight difference you've based it on Duoplains - your tiles are Marley Moderns or Redland Mini Stonewold or something similar.

2. The photo that you have found showing a joint between properties is the proper way to do it, there will be a bonding gutter under the tiles which when properly installed does not kick the tiles up. Incidentally the tiles in the photo are Duoplain or similar.

(Xenon - the expression 'polish a turd' is copyrighted by me - it's been my chosen expression for about 20 years!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back