Rotary Laser

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for recommendations for a rotary laser for work outside mostly. Not sure whether to pay extra for a green laser over a red one.

Require it for putting up steel work for sheds and for laying out drain levels.

I see there a lot of sub £300 lasers on eBay and amazon but I would rather pay more for something that is branded and is proven to be good. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Looking for recommendations for a rotary laser for work outside mostly. Not sure whether to pay extra for a green laser over a red one.
I still have an old Leica rotary which has proven its' worth over the years. On my current build, a mullti-million pound refurb and extension (offices) the ground workers have been using both Topcon or Leica Rugby rotary lasers at various stages. When we had the steel erectors in (for two three storey extensions) they had a Hilti rotary. Of the three different modes the Leica green laser was far easier to see in subdued daylight than the red lasers, but most of the time last summer they needed to use laser receivers. Our dryliners have a variety of red and green lasers, and you can certainly see the green light in far brighter conditions thn the red light ones. Not a recommendation by any means, but maybe a hint at what some people are using

You dont need to see the beam as you should be using a detector and staff - particularly for drains, so red would be fine.

I've got an imex 66R and can't really fault it. Under 500 quid including tripod staff and detector.
Don't really see the point of a green laser, you will get situations where it's too bright even for that.

Sponsored Links
I'd get a second hand Leica, then get it recalibrated/serviced. They hold their cost and you know that the line is level..

Thanks for the replies. I have seen people mention buying a second hand top branded laser that has been reconditioned or calibrated.

I will have a look in that area but also check out the brands mention above.

I had the impression that green was replacing the red laser so any new models being released will have a green laser.

I was told to consider Linestorm as they are a British company and are well priced so the support should be a bonus. Anyone know much about them?

Last edited:
I have seen people mention buying a second hand top branded laser that has been reconditioned or calibrated.
My Leica was second hand from one of the hire companies at about 5 years of age and they had already recalibrated it (came with a certificate)

I had the impression that green was replacing the red laser so any new models being released will have a green laser.
It's been coming in for the best part of 4 or 5 years, and it's true that they have better visibility (because of the sensitivity of the human eye) and seem from what I've read to have greater range, but green lasers do cost more at this point in time.

I had a second hand leica too, prior to the imex, before some toe-rag nicked it. To be honest for what I use it for I can't tell the difference and as to quality and longevity I don't know, it's about 3 years old now but doesn't get used daily or anything. Gets used setting up a job and then sometimes sits in it's box for months on end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back