Rotting wood fascia/soffit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a maisonette above a shop and have some repointing work going on currently. The scaffolding installation gave me a chance to look closely at the wood fascia and I noticed that a part of it has come off completely due to rot. Photos attached.

The property is from the 60s and I'm not sure when the fascia and soffit were installed.

I know the best way to fix it is to completely rip this out and replace it with a UPVC fascia and soffit but my financial situation currently is not that great. On furlough and may be made redundant. I just had enough saved to do some urgent repointing.

Is there a temporary solution I can use to fix this issue for a few years and then save enough by that time to change it?

Not the best solution but your advice would be highly appreciated in this hard situation. I had to negotiate a lot with the shop downstairs to put up the scaffolding and it needs to go down in a few days.

Attachments

• 20200801_193902.jpg
    20200801_193902.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 202
  • 20200801_193835.jpg
    20200801_193835.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 201
Sponsored Links
That's been horribly patched up before....it looks like the original soffit has been made from some sort of timber tongue and groove and it has got seriously wet.
Time to check out why it's wet.....tile / slate problems above maybe?
I'd also be surprised if there isn't a birds nest in there too.
The timber needs to be cut back to the nearest rafter and replaced....thin material like this can be cut through with a sharp Stanley knife, and the same applies to the facia - if you can access it. The guttering will need to be shifted too.
John :)

Thanks Burnerman. How much should something like this cost? Just so that I don't get ripped off...

Sponsored Links
A quick solution to what? unless you find out whats causing the water damage you cant fix anything.

will you show pics of the verge and the roof tiles/slates above the verge and eaves?
The main water damage could be coming from 1. the verge or 2. at the eaves/fascia.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back