Round cedarwood hot tub, pergola, decking & paving 09 pr

Sponsored Links
The jobs moved on and hardcore is in place and compacted. I have never seen this volume of earth dug out and basically i am in awe at these guys. To give some sense of the scale its 21 tonne of earth out and 18 tonne of hard core in. I am very glad i did not attempt this with my spade,shovel and wheelbarrow!
None the less its weird to have others on site and working while i am reduced to pottering(AND to add insult to injury i turn 40 on Saturday).

Anyway here's the latest photos and my wife has a whirly back after 15 months!(I did that bit you know)....... :)
Hopefully the slabs will start going down today. It already feels luxurious to be walking on something permanant after all these months of walking on our eco friendly patio of old sarking and mud.

A bit for those that come after and are planning a patio....

The patio slopes away from the house, there is a 100mm gap being left between the house structure and the start of the patio which will be gravel filled and the other edge at the grass will finish a slabs height(25 to 30mm) above the grass to stop grass creep onto the patio.

Its all over bar the pointing. That could not be done today as not totally dry here. Here's a few photos of the look so far.

I am extremely happy with the standard of work. I am now talking to a guy down in Cornwall about supplying the cedarwood hot tub. Need a fall back as the exchange rate for the dollar will not be in my favour for some time to come i think.

Finally got a bit of dry weather to get the pointing finished
Laid chinese smooth black pebbles in the space tween slabs and house. Also ran in a couple of low level bulkhead lights with 60W energy saving light bulbs in them. I was very surprised at the price of outside lights. Most of the style i saw were nasty or making a statement so i went for the basic look.

A view of the pergola/hot tub site from the house, lots and lots to do!

I have decided to go with my American contact for the tub and tub equipment as the quality supplied in the states is better than the uk(a bit sad that). I am also going to do a hardwood deck in Balau around the tub and extending down the garden about 2/3rds of the length of the patio(stopping about the green tub). It feels like Spring today! How'd that happen?

If anyone has a good contact for Balau hardwood give me a shout or indeed any pitfalls to watch for in laying a hardwood decking will be much appreciated. Cheers P. :D

Sponsored Links
Well,
I've changed my mind again and decided to go for a softwood deck(correct me if i am wrong but is that not what most people on here go for)? .
My plan is for the deck to be 5m wide and 6m long. The 6m length will be projecting down the garden and encompass the pergola/tub area at the top end of the deck. After reading a bit on this and other sites i have came up with a plan. The deck is going to be single level and i'd like it to be as low as possible as it will be stepped onto directly from the patio to access the tub.

For foundations i plan to use 6" square posts cut down to 2' lengths, first thing will be the cut down posts soaking in a bucket of timber preserver for a couple of hours to allow the preserver to penetrate into the cut sections. I will then sink the posts approx 14" into the soil. The post holes will be belled out at the bottom to give a good anchor.A small layer of gravel will be put into each post hole to minimise post bottom contacting with earth.I planned on having the posts 1.5M seperation in any direction and expect to use about 20 to 25kgs of concrete per hole.

My frame joists would be 4"x2" and i was planning on them being set at 500mm centres with cross bracing dwangs same timber size at 1M centres.

My intention is to have the whole deck float on the 6" posts about 1" off ground. I will be putting down a weed membrane and holding it in place with gravel and plastic pins out round the edge.

To ensure i get 1" clearance off the ground(thinking air circulation) i will be sinking the outer frame posts first, building that frame and working my way in to the centre framing and posting as i go depending on circumstance. I will be leaving a couple of inches of excess height in the posts to allow for the required fall of the deck to ensure the rain runs off it. I also plan to rebate the posts and coachbolt the joists in place, this should give it some serious support!

Finally on the frame, once the frame is in place and post tops cut to flush i will be giving it a couple of coats of wood treatment on top of its exisitng treatment.

After that its decking time, the deck itself is 42mm thick direction will be from the pergola down the garden, stainless screws,straight lines and 4/5mm gaps are the order of the day?

The rests easy its just finishing details but i'd like any advice on glaring ommisions i may have made in my timber sizes, post spacings or foundation depths/shape. Same goes for any 'best product out there' timber treatments, deck oils or weed membranes.
Any advice much appreciated.

Slight hiccup on the tub order as a 50hz switch set is no longer available. Still i am almost there with the specification so hopefully order in April for delivery around July. :D

Hi!,
Been following your posts and project,very interesting.
I would like to ask you..... have you considered a soft tub instead of traditional hot tub?
I lived in canada for a few years and they are very popular as they are much more comfortably than hard plastic tubs and i'm sure they retain the water temp better than the plastic hot tubs and in turn running cost are less.
Only a thought.

cheers,madsey.

Thanks Madsey, I aim to entertain and hopefully help somebody else along down the road if the madness takes them!

I'm not sure what a soft tub is, do tell?

The tub i have been aiming for is a 100% cedarwood round construct. 5 foot across and 4 foot deep(good buoyancy when in it). I looked at the plastic sculpted/shaped ones and tried them on holiday etc. Liked them but they don't quite flick my switch the way the cedar tubs do!

The guy i am dealing with in the States will advise and spec the tub to individual requirements. In my case that's 6 jets, 1.5 hp pump, air blower system, lights, 5.5kw heater filter unit, water purifier full bench seats etc. I will be adding the woodfired thermosiphon system myself.

Going for an all wood construct i found it difficult to find exactly what i wanted in the UK at a price i found to be acceptable(I.E being able to sit down afterwards). I even went as far as contacting cooperages to see if they would build to my spec. It seems that tubs can be bought in the uk built from inferior softwoods or they are way overpriced and less spec than the American/Canadian versions(i looked for 3 years before starting, that's how sad i am)! Got to admit i am a bit nervous about this as its a serious wedge i am paying and only me to blame if i've forgotten anything or just misunderstood the whole concept :eek: , still that's all part of the fun i suppose..... :LOL:

Edit- Found soft tubs, good concept. Please don't tell my wife these things exist! She would knock me out... I like the look of them but tbh a big part of the tub for me is the look(better get it right then) when its not in use. I know that sounds a bit shallow but as it won't be in use all the time it has to look great while its sitting doing nothing and SWMBO is nagging about 'how much i spent and look you never use it, blah di blah'. If it looks cool she will keep quiet........

Well,
I've changed my mind again and decided to go for a softwood deck(correct me if i am wrong but is that not what most people on here go for)? .
My plan is for the deck to be 5m wide and 6m long. The 6m length will be projecting down the garden and encompass the pergola/tub area at the top end of the deck. After reading a bit on this and other sites i have came up with a plan. The deck is going to be single level and i'd like it to be as low as possible as it will be stepped onto directly from the patio to access the tub.

For foundations i plan to use 6" square posts cut down to 2' lengths, first thing will be the cut down posts soaking in a bucket of timber preserver for a couple of hours to allow the preserver to penetrate into the cut sections. I will then sink the posts approx 14" into the soil. The post holes will be belled out at the bottom to give a good anchor.A small layer of gravel will be put into each post hole to minimise post bottom contacting with earth.I planned on having the posts 1.5M seperation in any direction and expect to use about 20 to 25kgs of concrete per hole.

My frame joists would be 4"x2" and i was planning on them being set at 500mm centres with cross bracing dwangs same timber size at 1M centres.

My intention is to have the whole deck float on the 6" posts about 1" off ground. I will be putting down a weed membrane and holding it in place with gravel and plastic pins out round the edge.

To ensure i get 1" clearance off the ground(thinking air circulation) i will be sinking the outer frame posts first, building that frame and working my way in to the centre framing and posting as i go depending on circumstance. I will be leaving a couple of inches of excess height in the posts to allow for the required fall of the deck to ensure the rain runs off it. I also plan to rebate the posts and coachbolt the joists in place, this should give it some serious support!

Finally on the frame, once the frame is in place and post tops cut to flush i will be giving it a couple of coats of wood treatment on top of its exisitng treatment.

After that its decking time, the deck itself is 42mm thick direction will be from the pergola down the garden, stainless screws,straight lines and 4/5mm gaps are the order of the day?

The rests easy its just finishing details but i'd like any advice on glaring ommisions i may have made in my timber sizes, post spacings or foundation depths/shape. Same goes for any 'best product out there' timber treatments, deck oils or weed membranes.
Any advice much appreciated.

Slight hiccup on the tub order as a 50hz switch set is no longer available. Still i am almost there with the specification so hopefully order in April for delivery around July. :D

no need for stainless steel screws with softwood decking, normally only used for hardwood where it will be seen.

i would use 6 x 2 and the supports need to be at 400mm centres not 500

Thanks Thermo, does that mean that the s/s screws would penetrate the sonftwood deck and then get mostly concealed so go for standard deck screws?

I have seen a number of your threads on decks and a few of the photos. Like your style so 6 by 2 it is then. Going to stick to 500mm centres as the deck is 42mm(it might be 46mm can't check my sample as i am offshore the now) thick which is way over normal, i think that will offset any losses in rigidity over the extra 100mm tween joists. Or it could of course be that i find it easier to multiplty in 500's. I will do a bounce test once its under way and if there is any sign of bounce at 500 i will revert to your advice and go with 400. Thanks for the input.

yes the stainless steel ones will get lost in the softwood.

42mm thick, where have you got that from? thickest is normally 38mm, finished at 33mm

at that thickness 500mm will be fine. dont forget to put an extra bearer across where the length of plank will end. it saves a lot of cutting.

Its from a local sawmill(1 1/2 hours away from my house). Its the same place i went to for the timbers for the pergola. I am going up there next week with my mate in his van to buy a load. Do you want a sample? The guys are quite proud of the product. Its tannilised and available in various lengths. I think max length was 4.2 or 4.8Mtrs. I can confirm when i am there if you want.

Woohoo,
Recieved the final price today for the tub. The nearest to equivalent tub with inferior sub systems cost £7,500 in the uk. The quote below is in dollars. Doesn't include shipping or import duty which will be about a grand more. Even at that price i am still 2 grand(UK) up and have a higher spec tub than the uk suppliers use! Hows that for rip off Britain? Anyway heres the quote.

Item Item Price
----------------------------------------------------------------
5x4 Cedar Round Tub 2214.00
Three Rim Shelves (@ $125.00 ea) 375.00
Eight 5' Circular Bench Sections ("all around" seating) 370.00
2.0 HP, Full Service, Two Speed 50 Hz. Pump w/Trap 650.00
50 sq. ft Cartridge Filter 150.00
5.5 kW Electric Heater (240 V, Single Phase) 450.00
Medium Jet Set 265.00
Medium Plumbing Kit 375.00
Single Function Air Switch/Timer, 50 Hz w/ Button, Tubing 350.00
Single Function Air Switch (50/60 Hz) w/ Button, Tubing 150.00
Bubbler System 225.00
Hot Tub Cover (Color Teak) 295.00
Freeze Protector 195.00
Low Voltage Light 80.00
Water Purifier 355.00
----------------------------------------------------------------
Total Cost (not including shipping) 6499.00

Can anyone help? I ordered 10 of 12V 30mm robus stainless deck lights c/w transformers off the bay last night. As i was waking up this morning and in that weird zone tween sleeping and waking i thought' AHA, stainless foot operated rubberised spring return deck light on/off switch mounted on the corner of the deck, Coooolllll' as you do!

Thing is i can't find anything like it on the net. You older guys will remember when main beam was operated from a foot switch in cars? That's the sort of thing i am looking for except rated for 240V and external use. I want to put it in line before the deck light transformers so they are not on 24 hours a day. Anyone any idea or seen something similar?

Oh aye, i'm off up North to the sawmill on Monday morning to pick up the material for the deck. My son is on an hourly rate to assist over the next week or so. Looking forward to working with him again!

Oh well, no worries on the foot switch. I made a start on the deck yesterday and today. Went to the sawmill for my pre ordered load and had to do 2 trips to get it all to the house. Bit of a bonus on the main deck foundation beams. Turned out the mill had a few surface split 7" beams so i bought them instead of 6" posts.

Jobs going as planned 25kgs concrete in each hole and all holes belled out at bottom. I have rebated the deck foundation beams so the outer frame is supported by the post and not the retaining screws and bolts. Everything else was bought through the bay and its all great fun !

The deck has turned out to be 7 metres by 5 metres which is a good size without being ott for the garden its in
A shot of how much is left of the post once rebated in 2 directions
Average depth of post in ground is 16", never sure how much to go to so i just go till hard ground and then bell out the hole
There's quite a fall running from the patio side of the deck to the other about 4" drop, luckily i overcut the height of the post so had plenty to play with

Only now in day 2 of 'Dawn of the deck' is it slowly dawning just how big a job it is! I think i am overengineering it but better that than the other way i suppose. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back