router question please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this pops up twice but I thought I had posted this earlier but I can't see it now!
I am new to woodworking (I've only made a work bench so far!) but I am just getting a couple of power tools together. When it comes to routers will there be any advantages/disadvantages for me if I chose a palm router?
(ah, I didn't put a title on the first attempt!)

Sponsored Links
Love my palm router. Great for all sorts of jobs and easy to weild. Still need a big plunge router as well, though.

thanks Nick. I've seen a Bosch palm router that looks handy. I don't expect to be doing anything too heavy at this stage. Just decorative things really.

to be honest the router is the cheap part the cutters the router table the router mat the clamps all add up

a small router is great for basic molding but anything bigger requires a 1/2" router
and the biggest off all cutters require a router table
so for a basic set up the router and cutters are about equal to each other

what projects do you have in mind for you router

Sponsored Links
Hi, at the moment I'm trying to put a work bench together without the aid of a work bench! Just 4x4 legs and 4x2's. So funny you should mention clamps as I need to buy a couple. Firstly to clamp the 4x2's for cutting with the circular. Then for further projects. So any advice you could offer on choosing what type clamps I need would be good.

As for the router. My first project is simple, an open towel cabinet for the bathroom wall. So with that I would like to round off the front edges on the 8"x1" boards. And sort out a simple moulding for around the top which I could router from 2"x1". After that it would be simple cabinets and shelves.

all my pine furniture gets a 1/8"-3.2mm ovolo with a 1mm querk[step] on all exposed edges as standard

i would start with a couple off 6"/ 150mm solo clamps axminster do them for around £6 each

i have around 20 6" and 15 4" clamps
lidls sometimes do 4" and tool station do a 6" but niether are as good as a solo you cannot break a solo even 2 handed

thanks, solo clamps look good for what I'm doing at the moment.

So could I do my exposed edges with a 1/4" router?

yes any size will do light edge moulding

when you use your clamps use clamping blocks to avoid damage to the surface
take a file /bit off sandpaper to the top hard plastic jaw and take about 2mm off the face this will give you a virtually mark free clamping
get yourself a router mat first as any object will easier to handle
if you use clamps to hold the work you waste time as you cant run the router where the clamps are
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Non+Slip+Router+Mat/p85326
lub spray
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/PTFE+Spray/p63929
dont get these clamps if you can afford to make up an order for solo clamps from axminster tools but may help you boost the order to the £10 for free delivery at tool station
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand Tools/Clamps/One Handed Quick Clamp/d10/sd10/p73583

wood glue
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/D4+Wood+Glue/p61864

Can the bosch palm router be used with a router table and dovetail joint jigs?

i doubt it very very much but dont know the actual answer
it certainly would be overloaded on all but thin material

Hi, I'm guessing that would be the answer too. I don't want to make rash buys so I'm still thinking carefully about routers. As a beginner I'm attracted to the palm router because it looks simpler than other routers to handle. But then I'm sure gonna want either to make or buy a router table. Have you used a dovetail bit or other joint bits with a router?

not sure how a dovetail jig will work on a router table ??
normally you put the timber in the jig and run the router through all the fingers guided by a guide bush

i know your new to all of this,but if you really want an easy router to handle then i cannot fault the 'festool' for ease of handling,it really is a delight to hold and use.
now i also know the cost is prohibitive to you,these machines do cost a LOT OF DOSH.
1 thing to help you is,get a soft start machine,iirc most are these days,yonks back i had an old makita router and i needed arms like arnie to hold on to the thing,twas a beast n half.it used to take off.
im just wondering if it may be plausible for you to perhaps pay a visit to a hire company and higher a machine for the weekend and have a play with it on some scraps of wood to get confidence etc.??

thanks gregers. I have handled a few routers in shops (not switched on!) and they weighed a ton! Again hence the idea of a palm router. But I'm sure that would restrict me eventually. Lots of research is needed.
Hiring a router might be a good idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back