router question please.

ideally you would have 3 routers [or more] :D :D

start with a small router to get used to using one then a big un under a table
then a medium one to cover the heavier hand stuff

the routers are actually the cheaper part all the cutters the table and other equipment nessisery for safe routing will cost more

have you looked at ryobi they are ideal for diy good quality with full back up spares

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=r...WshQeZm4DQBg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1047&bih=473

you can get a decent hitachi mv12 for about £160 but not a hand held for the beginner
http://www.tools4trade.co.uk/hitachi-m12ve-1-2in-router-with-carry-case-hitm12ve-240v-p-147644

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5EPnmFqp1c

Sponsored Links
good info big-all. The bosch palm router can come as a kit with some attachments that might be handy for me.
But I will look at some 1/2" routers as well.

Yes I've seen the dewalt model. At the moment I'm trying to get lots of gear together and of course prioritizing involves making my limited funds stretch as far as I can. The bosch kit is around £140.
Thinking about what I plan to make next, will the bosch be able to rabbet 1" thick panels in order to provide joints? will it be able to rebate so I can fit a back panel?

Sponsored Links
only 3 big all.you bloody amerture you :LOL:

like big all,i too have more then just the 1,over time you do tend to add to your collection of tools.but usually with me when bargains are to be had.

i bought a pro router(b&q jobbie)from ebay,it was a complete kit,came with around 50 odd router cutters of differing sizes.worked out cheaper then buying a few cutters i wanted to do the job in hand.but bear in mind like biggy has said the cutters CAN BE VERY EXPENSIVE,was expecting the router to basically die a death after the job i bought it for,but to my amazement it is still going.i have had a look on ebay for my festool but they still are going for stupid money,so there going to be prohibitive to you.
there is such a vast choice out there,that with so much choice you end up getting a tad confuzed,
do you know anyone who may have/own 1 that you may try?
or maybe go and pay a visit to your local college,the carpentry department and ask if you may have a hold of the 1s they have?worth an ask.
whilst your there ask if they do any kind of course you may be interested in,that way they may be more accommodating?.
have a look on you tube for routers in general,no doubt there will be tutorials etc about them,this will make you even more confuzed about choice :LOL: :LOL:

when you use a router you should restrict your cuts/passes to to half the shank so 1/4"[6.35mm] would be around 3.25mm deep x12mm wide
you can push this a little bit but not to much

you can do your rebates for the back panels in one go at 6x6mm or 7x7mm

when you use a router table everything tends to be in one pass but with a substantial router[1800w +]

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
well i was thinking in doing it 5 times+ but thought nah thats taking the 'p'
:LOL:

Hi, I still havn't settled on a router choice yet! The main reason is the models I have been looking at our not stocked anywhere near where I live in N,Wales. I really would like to feel what it was like before I bought it. Buy on the internet and there is no chance of that. Tomorrow I may have a chance to have a look at a Triton MOF001 1400w. Anyone had experience with this model? The Makita palm router kit would probably be a main choice but again, no chance of getting a hold of one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back