Router Recommendation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need a router. Been browsing for one for years, I want better build quality than the cheapies, but the big prices on the likes of DeWalt have always put me off. Reckon I've got 80-100 quid to spend

What I really want is one of these 'made by Makita/DW/Bosch but half the price' jobs. Any recommendations?

Also some advice on collet size and any major DON'Ts would help. I'm pretty unlikely to give it a hammering, immediate need is to rebate an inset sink edge to fit flush with a ply sub-base.

I have of course considered saving the dosh and heading down the hire shop, but as I said I've been after one for years - so now's my chance. :)

Sponsored Links
Cheers! Thanks alot, I've ordered the 1150 model, which takes pretty much any size bit as far as I can tell, £70 from Screwfix :D

rudeboy said:
Cheers! Thanks alot, I've ordered the 1150 model, which takes pretty much any size bit as far as I can tell, £70 from Screwfix :D

if its like mine it won't have a spanner it will also accept 12mm bits [but not g/teed as the new version may not]

Sponsored Links
Thanks again for the help, router arrived yesterday, it has a 1/2inch chuck/collet with sleeves to step down to 3/8 and 1/4. Everything in the box ok, and a decent case too, even a selection of bits which I wasn't expecting. Only downer is the rebate bit I ordered wasn't spec'd very well and will only do half the size I want. No sweat, I'll finish it off with one of the cutters supplied - time to go practise on my new worktop ;)

If nothing else, my 10yr old daughter is well impressed - she's the budding engineer in the house, (bearing in mind there are also two teenage boys :LOL: )

Cheers, Rudy

the blurb only says a 1/4 router and to be honest at 1100w or there abouts it underpowerd for all but the smaller 1/2" jobs and would require loads of 3mm passes for larger cutters :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D ;)

also if your 10pc router cutter set if its like mine the ones with bearings are slightly off centre so may vibrate {if the do dont use them }

when you start to get vibration and the cutter progress starts to slow down is a deffinate sign the cutter is working its way out the collet

so you dont want to get used to even the smallest of vibration as it can mask a cutter working loose

Thanks guys. Gave it a spin yesterday and all seems ok. Admittedly I didn't need to cut too deep, but the supplied bits are mostly half inch so I reckon I got my money's worth.

The chepo Chinese bit set I bought from Toolstation on the other hand was lets say 'disappointing'. I've had some decent stuff from them but this 'Silverline' gear is real Christmas Cracker stuff :rolleyes:

So, Ryobi 1150 Router - Thumbs up from me :)

did you get a spanner with yours!!!

where your router bearings running true!!

you should be able to get cheap router cutter sets for 1 to £2 a cutter
with better quality starting around £5 each in sets or £8 up to around £60 for individual cutters

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back