Router than can make 52mm hole using boring bit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am fitting some some door handles and I'm trying to get the rose plate of the handle flush with the door. I bought an adjustable boring bit with a 1/2 shank but now that I'm looking at plunge routers I'm realising that they only allow about 34mm wide bits, 50mm at a push.

What can I use that is relatively inexpensive to make a neat cut of 52mm?

Sponsored Links
Can't you set up the router like a compass and cut the hole that way?

Cut the radius then free hand the bit in the middle. You don't have to use a stupidly large bit (with suitable low-speed then)

Nozzle

Can't you set up the router like a compass and cut the hole that way?

Cut the radius then free hand the bit in the middle. You don't have to use a stupidly large bit (with suitable low-speed then)

Nozzle

When you "set up the router like a compass" do you mean to use a circle template and trace it using the router?

52mm forstner bit ? With a drill (Not a router) :LOL:

I wanted to avoid using a drill because I probably won't get it very straight, and the hole needs to be as perfect as possible.

Sponsored Links
When you "set up the router like a compass" do you mean to use a circle template and trace it using the router?

If your router is anything like my Trend, it has a notch in the flat edge of the base plate, directly marking the centre point. You could use this to run it around a small pin, though it may not be that stable. The parallel gate of the trend comes to pieces - you take one of the bars out and feed it into the router base in the normal way then use a large point to rest in a dimple in your timber. Not that easy near the edge of a door. You could use this method though to cut an over-sized template, then use the oversized template with the guide collar. You'll have to do trial end error or measurements/subtraction to get the template the right size to suit your final hole size

Nozzle

Hi Nozzle, thanks for explaining that. I'm wondering if with a bit of carefulness it might be easier to use a forstner bit with an already drilled template to guide the bit a little.

How deep are you going? What handles require this?

It only has to be about 6mm or 7mm deep. It's just a standard door handle but because the door is flush with the wall I wanted to put the rose plate flush with the door also. My main problem is that the door has already been spray painted so I need to be careful when I make the cut, I can probably get away with touching up with a brush. The rose plate is ever so slightly chamfered so that may be an issue too. I'm going to practice everything before doing any work.

Door 35mm thick? Recessed 12-14 mm overall? Catch hole around 20mm ? Leaves no timber?

Trust me, there is plenty of wood for the handle to attach to the door. The handle has a pass through screw and bolt so it will be secure. As for the way it looks each to their own I guess, but it will look great providing I can cut the right size hole.

Router, guide bush, straight cutter, plywood template. No need for a 52mm cutter hich would be ridiculous overkill. The only other bit of kit you'll need is a hole saw to make the template, really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back