Routers - Which one for a keen DIYer?

X

xeres

Hi all

Looking to pick up a decent router that will offer me the greatest versatility at a competitive price point. Routers I have narrowed my search down to:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-erb380rou-2100w-router-230-240v/81664

Both do 1/4 and 1/2 colletts and reviews seem really good. Main things I am wanting to do with them:

- Standard DIY stuff such as routing recesses in for kitchen door hinges
- Possibly looking into detailing shelves and panelling

Wondered if anyone can offer any comments or guidance really? Be advised I do not really want to spend more than 150 and want to have as much versatility as I can from a single tool!

With thanks in advance,

X

Sponsored Links
does it have to be brand new?
reason i ask have you had a look on the bay for a few very good make 1s which would then perhaps be in your price range?

Not necessarily. Could you point me towards particular models/makes which you would recommend?

Thanks

I wouldn't recommend either of your choices, Erbauer is generally cheap tat and draper " not for me". You could try Dewalt, Makita, Hitachi or Bosch, Bosch may do a 1/2 inch router for the DIY market with a 1/4 inch Collet normally green in colour not blue as are the proffessional range. Try FFX tools online or alternatively ring them, they are very helpful.

Sponsored Links
in general the routers are actually the cheapest part off the setup
the table and the cutters are often 50-80% off the finnished cost

you will have at least 2 routers [1/4 and half inch]
if you are serious about "routing"
i have about 7 :D

Can I ask what differences you get in buying top end hitachi, makita, dewalt etc? I appreciate there will be build quality (less plastics) and decent electrics which can be repaired with spare parts but with regards to quality of cut etc...?

Thanks

It's nothing to do with the amount of plastics used, rather it's how they work in the hands of an operator and how well made they are for longevity and the like.
Parkside (tools normally associated with Lidl) do a 1300 watt plunge router, and as any of us who've used this brand will know, there pretty good. They are normally available through A.!*on (out of stock right now) not Lidl's for some reason?
There's one on offer at flea bay right now http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-parks...Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item2c716ffe29 ...pinenot :)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
poorer quality metal collets more likely to damage the the cutter shafts
cutters more likely to "chatter" and the cutter work its way out causing uneven molding and danger off cutter turning to a missile

although the "chattering" should alert you long before the cutter comes out assuming its 2/3 in the collet like it should be

in general cheap routers are fine until you use them near the limits then the faults will come to the fore

have a look at ryobi for a good all round router

The cheaper ones don;t slide as nicely when you plunge into a cut and base may not be or stay square to the cutter. Often this does not matter too much, but with my small 1/4" green bosch the base is slightly out of square, this means that if I set a 1/4" roundover cutter so it just (fractions of a mm) clears the top of the work giving me a perfect round edge, when i them turn the router round 180' the cutter is slightly further in, resulting in a small lip. This means that rather than holding the router in both hands and just running it round the work, tyo have to turn the router so it;s talways the same orientation to the job...

My Trend TK11 (several 100 quid) is as square as square can be, so much more forgiving in use...

Cheap tools often just make the job harder to get a perfect finish...

Good lord, don't buy either of these. I wouldn't have them given to me (and I work at screwfix).
They will work, and they will cut cleanly......just not for very long. And like someone has said - what you push them to their self-proclaimed limits they tend to blow. Again, made with plastic parts instead of metal and generally poor design.

Your problem is that 'routing' covers several degrees of usage. If you just want to tickle over and edge you can use a 800-1000 watt machine.
A bit heavier duty, a 1200-1500 watt range machine....and for routing long deep grooves/rebates in various woods you should be looking at a 2000watt machine.

Routers are serious bits of kit and put under a lot of stress and heat so I would want mine well made.

Yes you can pay top dollar for routers....but no, you do not need a Festool. There is a place for entry level machines but just go steady with them, take several passes and don't force them through the material. My suggestions would be.....

Trend T4 850w
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trend-T4ek-Variable-Speed-Router/dp/B003G2Z62Q/ref=pd_sim_sbs_diy_1

Bosch 1200w
http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-pof...tracking url&gclid=CKTKnqL7lrkCFeGWtAodmDUAcw

Ryobi 14000w
http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-pof...tracking url&gclid=CKTKnqL7lrkCFeGWtAodmDUAcw

These are all 1/4 inch collets/bits only. But if you want/need a 1/2 inch router I would opt for a decent used one from ebay for your budget.

'NORM' ;)

'NORM' ;)

that man has a menagerie a flock and a harem off routers to play with :D :D :D

like everything else he has,the amount of clamps the guys got is amazing :LOL:

i use a hell off a lot off clamps i have something like 35- 40 6and 4" solo /single handle style clamps and around 30 sash clamps off varying sizes and quality
i also have about 6 traditional "G" clamps i seldom use

the other week i had used all the solo clamps and around 9 sash clamps and was a bit short on solo clamps :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back