Rover 214

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi group,
All of a sudden my clutch wont work. When the engine is running im stuck in
neutral. The pedal feels different, the degree of resistance isnt the same.
If i switch off the engine, select 1st then start the engine the car moves
off even with the clutch in. Im hoping its the clutch cable. Does anybody
have any ideas? how much is a new clutch? i just need to fix it so i can
sell it. It cost me £700 (its a 1994 sei) and in 6 months ive had new head
gasket, alternator, dissy cap/rotor radiator arm now this. Help

Sponsored Links
When you say "The pedal feels different, the degree of resistance isnt the same", do you mean:

a) The pedal feels very light and moves easily
b) The pedal is a lot heavier, or stuckfast.

My bet is on a, but it's worth making sure of these things. The clutch cable is the most likely culprit, due to the different pedal feel and the clutch being permanently engaged. Do you remember it suddenly giving one morning when you went to put it in gear?

The car seems to cost you much in repairs, but just think of how much you would have spent on new car loan repayments in those 6 months :D

hiya

it is slightly lighter than it was, Before this happend, when the pedal went past the biting point the resistance was less, it moved freely down to the floor. The resistance is the same now all the way through the movement.

It happened all of a sudden. After reversing i dipped the clutch and noticed that no gears could be selected I was stuck in neutral.

good point about payments, its just really annoying as its our first car and its ended up costing more than we paid for it. :(

I had the same problem with one of my Metro s.

Your 214 hasn't been standing, has it? My car stood for a few weeks, and the clutch siezed closed.

Had to start it in first, leaping forward until it fired, then drive it around a bit, double-declutching until it freed itself!

Sponsored Links
morning

no its not been standing i had used it the day before. Trying to get a mobile mechanic round today to see whats what as the local garages all want us to tow it there and we cant.

Then we will be getting rid of the heap of junk. Its shame in a way as it looks really good for its age and it has done a fair bit of travelling in the time we have had it but we have lost confidence in it.

My bet would be that the clutch cable has snapped, it's reasonable common, if it's in neutral, then you could perhaps save some money by getting a mate to give you a tow to the garage.

We have rang a few garages and the cheapest we have found is £70 for clutch cable or £178 for new clutch. Have seen a few cars locally that i am interested in so going to look at them and the father in law wants our old one so hopefully we are pretty much sorted.

Thanks for all the help guys much appreciated.

he did offer to buy it off us for £250. We have however decide to part ex it as the garages i have spoken to today say they will give us £400-500 for it. Off to look at some toyotas on tuesday

Sponsored Links
Back