United Kingdom
Area size approx 9.5mx7m

x2 RSJ
254x254x89UC
6.6m

3m Concrete beams - 150mm height

Concrete blocks for infill are 100mm height

3 bays to be installed in total.

Understood that when the blocks sit into the concrete beams they will be flush.

This however will not be the case when the concrete beams sit on the lower RSJ flange.

RSJ as mentioned are 254mm. When resting the concrete beams on the lower RSJ flange this will result in the RSJ sticking higher than the beam block floor by approx 100mm.

Is there something obvious that needs to be done to counter this?

Thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
Have they specified the right RSJ? The block and beam should normally be flush to the steel, but if an additional layer of screed is being applied or a sub floor on battens is being installed on top of the block and beam that may not be the case. More info needed on what the flooring will be like, really. What has the S/E specified?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is planned to be a Beam and Block ground floor - with screed (no timber).

upload_2021-12-13_15-50-49.png

Drawing as above for the B&B design.

Concrete Joist Schedule:
upload_2021-12-13_15-52-45.png

Spec from SE:
"Beam 3 and 4 254x254x89UC
Supporting new 150mm thick beam and block floor"

I will speak to SE tomorrow, waiting to hear back from the B&B supplier.

Sponsored Links
Yes and no, my father is also on here. Apologies for any confusion.

Normally you get some drawings to approve from the B/B supplier, as mentioned depends on what's been specified/required etc, no designers details then? Why is it suspended out of interest?

Drawing appears to show block & beam floor on top of steel beam rather than resting on bottom flange.
What does section C-C and D-D show?

It does though the beams might be sitting in the webs, it's not a very clear drawing, c or d won't be any good he needs a section the orher way.

Hi both,

A question:
In a typical B&B install would the concrete beams usually sit on the top or lower flange of the RSJ?

This is what we got back from the B&B supplier this morning.
"You have two options:
  • Run a course of brick on the inside of the steel to raise the beam and block up.
  • Introduce a shelf angle to the inside of the steel (Either welded or bolted), to raise the beam and block up by 100mm."
I am due to speak to the SE later this PM.

Last edited:
Depending on situation the concrete beams can be installed on top of within the web of the steel.
On top would be the easier and cheaper option.
A shelf angle fitted to the web of the steel beam would be my choice if the concrete beams need to go in the web of the steel.

That’ll create 2 big point loads on the existing house wall and footing.

I feel,sorry for the person who has to move those steels, I hope you’ve got good access.

The two RSJs have been craned into place (corner plot property so access directly from road side).
Resting on steel reinforced solid concrete basement walls (these RSJs will not be loading onto current house walls/footings).

BCO is coming over tomorrow so will have a chat with him to see what options he suggests for the best way forward.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back