RSJ looks unsafe?

Lets hope you guys read building plans better than posts on here, it was 300 Deep 500 H shoulda gone to specsavers lads ! hah, hah, and yes it seems excessive but up to CURRENT Building Reg Requirements, I'm sorry if this has been confusing for you and I have no doubt you have been building for years and have a wealth of experience BUT BC regs are there for a reason and correct building practice must be adhered to otherwise we'll all end up on Rogue Builders !! :LOL: The main thing we must agree on is this is a sloppy job and he should seek professional advice before continuing.- Jackie

Sponsored Links
The risk of the beam supporting wall/joists over is too high to mess about with.. tell them to get someone out asap to give professional advice..

Lets hope you guys read building plans better than posts on here, it was 300 Deep 500 H shoulda gone to specsavers lads ! hah, hah, and yes it seems excessive but up to CURRENT Building Reg Requirements, I'm sorry if this has been confusing for you and I have no doubt you have been building for years and have a wealth of experience BUT BC regs are there for a reason and correct building practice must be adhered to otherwise we'll all end up on Rogue Builders !! :LOL: The main thing we must agree on is this is a sloppy job and he should seek professional advice before continuing.- Jackie
The beam sizes you quote don't follow nomenclature for standard beams. (can you use nomenclature for numbers?) A 300x500 beam is presumably 533x312 which is simply far too big for any domestic situation. Or you could mean a 215x300 beam except there isn't a standard beam anywhere near that size? But even if it was that size it is still far too big for any span of 2.9m. So I'm afraid it's you that isn't making any sense and if you really have fitted a beam somewhere near these sizes either your engineer is an idiot, or a crook, or you have read the plans wrong.

Sponsored Links
Are all three stories balancing on the one beam?

No it's just a two story house, the RSJ is beneath a partition wall.
That confirms my theory. The beam obviously hasn't been properly calculated, the builder just asked for a beam for a 4m span and that's what they've been given. Way over sized. It still needs to be fitted properly though to stop it shifting around.

You misunderstand, the 500H x 215 W x 500 D is the dimension of the padstone as I stated, NOT the beam ? The beam is 203x203 x46 UC. But this is detracting away from original post as my plans have been passed and I was just offering advice. I hope the gentleman gets it checked and correctly fitted. In future I'll mind my own business and just browse the forum with no comment. :(

You misunderstand, the 500H x 215 W x 500 D is the dimension of the padstone as I stated, NOT the beam ? The beam is 203x203 x46 UC. But this is detracting away from original post as my plans have been passed and I was just offering advice. I hope the gentleman gets it checked and correctly fitted. In future I'll mind my own business and just browse the forum with no comment. :(
You didn't state padstone, you mentioned the dimension (which appeared to be talking about a beam) and when people queried it you said it was a three storey house hence the size of the beam. But I agree, it is detracting. Your situation is nothing like the OPs.

Are all three stories balancing on the one beam?

No it's just a two story house, the RSJ is beneath a partition wall.

What is the partition wall made off? Blocks, concrete, timber or something else?

ifng.png

That "timber" I've labelled looks like a floor joist up in there!

Are you saying there is a concrete wall on top of that?

What is the partition wall made off? Blocks, concrete, timber or something else?

As I understand it, the partition wall is hollow so just plasterboard and timber.

That "timber" I've labelled looks like a floor joist up in there!

Yes that's right but the bit labeled as concrete is one of the timber beams they took from the wall they removed below. So they've just wedged it between the RSJ and the joist.

Are you saying there is a concrete wall on top of that?

No it's just the timber, there is an attic but that's timber and some floorboards without any walls.

So its carrying no load worth talking about.
That's what I suspected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back